Favorite knife handle material?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Which are the grippiest handle materials when wet?

Is stacked leather quite grippy when wet?

[specifically i was thinking of the fallkniven NL northern lights series of knives]

Last edited:
In my opinion the grippiest handle material when wet is non polished micarta (the canvas fluffy texture will adhere on hand exactly as a sock adhere to ice ;) ). There might be many more but this is what i use when such a request is made.
Stacked leather is almost the same but only if it was not polished.

All the best,
Bogdan

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive just ordered a standard Fallkniven H1 with the kraton rubber handle. But I really like the look of it, with the micarta handle.

Whoever did this one, seems to have added a bit of a choil

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like to make up my own handles from glue-ups of 1/8" rosewood and mahogany strips.
It's all junk rubbish cut-offs from the musical (Guitar) instrument industry.
Cheap and I have lots of it.

If you don't make the handle of a size to fit my hand, I won't consider buying it.
Handles fit like shoes. While it has taken a few years for me to learn this concept,
it does apply.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Handles fit like shoes. While it has taken a few years for me to learn this concept,
it does apply.

Good point.

A bit more digging revealed the micarta slabs above are not how the H1 is supposed to be dressed.
The H1 is [based upon] a traditional scandinavian design, and the kraton handle which encompasses the full tang completely, would have been made from wood originally.
I had a little play with my new toy yesterday, and I like it. It conforms to Mors Kochanskis philosophy of what a survival knife should be. 'A pry bar that works wood really well'

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Gregg Blomberg (Kestrel Tools) has been collaborating with both the big and little names among the Pacific Northwest Native carving community for nearly 40 years.
It appears that there is a nearly ideal handle size for carving tools. " In a fist grip, palm up, the tips of the second and third fingers should just
touch the fat ball part of the thumb." I find this to be a starting blank (knives, elbow adzes and D-adzes) of 7/8" square for my big hands with long fingers.
That's a nearly 10" span. I believe that 3/4" would be fine for hands of average size.

What I never see is any consideration for the size of handles for long blades, single bevels = nice looking, finely crafted knives from the many individual bladesmiths who haunt this place.
Maybe, the Kestrel Constant (as I call it) doesn't apply. But, does it?

Even in the case of an elbow adze. There is a nearly ideal placement for your hand = the "Holm Constant."
While I have spent no more than possibly 5-6 years exploring the designs and applications of the wood carving tools of the PacNW,
I must come away with the notion that the shere geometry of the shapes is much more important than I imagined.
Of course, they have had some thousands of years to have messed around with what works and what doesn't.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If you don't make the handle of a size to fit my hand, I won't consider buying it.
it does apply.

Quite right too
first thing i look at with a knife is blade shape. Many a time i'v seen a lovely shaped blade and been thinking to myself "cor, thats a nice knife. I could see me using that"
Then i either pick it up or scroll down the page and see a top down veiw of the handle and i'm just instantly turned off. Perfect blade or not if the handle dont look right i cant even consider it

And for the thread......wood certainly for looks. To many to choose a firm favorite as it depends on the bit of wood in question but curly birch is certainly up there

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I have knives with a wide variety of different handle materials, and I feel that each is appealing in their own way and some are better than others for certain applications. Appearance wise, I really like the looks of desert ironwood burl, plus it's really tough. But for feel and function, I would have to say that birch bark is my favorite handle material in use.

IMG_1627 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE