Fatwood for life

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
LoL :) thats what mates is all about.... trust, innit!

In a bizarre way, you will both now find yourself tripping over the stuff out and about.

al.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
Herefordshire
Dont want to upset enyone , but my view when out and about is , leave no trace and take only memories , i have a view in my mind of half destroyed tree stumps around the forests . If it was a survival situation i can see the importance but when so meny other materials can be used i dont really agree with the collection of fat wood . sorry

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
You are welcome to your view freddy, and respected for it.

I simply see it as collecting a byproduct of human interaction, and turning it into a useful resource, as it has been for around 2000 years. The tree stumps are destroyed (aside from the tree being felled) through a narural rotting process. I hope the picture below illustrates what is exactly being collected, and at what stage the stump is, or 'is no more'... Nothing has been previously removed as far as fatwood, but the section left standing is.

It would be interesting if you listed some of the many other materials just out of curosity.

Regards, al.

4logzp.jpg

Hi, I know this thread is a little old now but can I ask how you use fatwood? I came across a scotts pine stump today, not quite as glassy as the one in the pictures, but dark and very scented. Is it good for tinder as well as kindling? I did have a little play, it lit easily but can it be done with a firesteel?

Thanks

Leo

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi Leo,

It wont just light of a firesteel, you need to make it into shavings or dust first. Putting a spark to a solid bit of wood wont do much, fatwood or not.

best thing to do is, make some sticks in shape of a pencil, and also make some dust/shavings. with that combo you can get any fire going.

After refining i was left with some chunks too, or knots if you will. I keep these for days when your wood is very wet and the fire is hard work. throw one of these in and it will boost your flames and dry your wood.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
the shinyness will wear off as it drys.

I made mine into dust with a tool I dont know the name of. Its like a cheese grater but for wood? if you want to make a door 1mm smaller? I hope you understand.

Pencil charpener sounds like a good idea, will have to try that!

A tea spoon of fine fatwood dust will ignite straight away and burn for 10-15 seconds.

baz p

Nov 16, 2010
manchester
it was the feeling i got when first found it....i was acting like i just got six numbers on a role over week, lit it right away then started inhaling like it was a embassy number 1, since then i cant get enough of it, i use it most times to start a fire now, but I'm sure the feeling will fade away at some point, probably when the land becomes dry again.......role on next winter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE