Fat pine/ maya sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
I always thought fat pine was caused when a tree is topped, either by man or by the wind. The roots then keep sending up resin, which leads to the rest of the tree being packed full of it.

I think pine roots are pretty good as well having said that, they always have resin and don't go rotten.

I felled a dead standing pine the other week for firewood, it had the grey weathered wood, and blackening, however, it was definately not fat pine. It was reasonably resiny, but not much. So maybe this disease is not the cause?

"This isn't a *these aren't good enough* type thread, they both work and do so reliably under adverse weather conditions"

I feel I have to say something, even though you ask not to. Maya dust, which you mentioned, will not reliably ignite (with a firesteel). I have tried it with all kinds of types, with a fresh packet of maya dust, but it would not light. I eventually managed to ignite my damp cotton sock accidentally when trying to light the maya dust. This was inside in a warm, windless room. To say they "work reliably under adverse weather conditions", is, I fear, the kind of information that could lead to a fatality.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know Chips you have an unfortunate turn of phrase sometimes. All you needed to add was, "In my opinion" and I'd have agreed quite happily.

Maya dust is variable, as has already been discussed ad nauseam on the forum, like firesteels, some makes are a lot better than others.

Toddy

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
Y'know Chips you have an unfortunate turn of phrase sometimes. All you needed to add was, "In my opinion" and I'd have agreed quite happily.

Maya dust is variable, as has already been discussed ad nauseam on the forum, like firesteels, some makes are a lot better than others.

Toddy

OK, but you did say that "they both work and do so reliably under adverse weather conditions", with no mention that some do not, as if it was fact. That was why I felt obliged to respond, if someone reads your post, and gets from it that maya dust is reliable in bad weather, then goes out relying on it in conditions that need a fire, they could die. Maybe some will ignite, but not all. (In my opinion)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pedantic too........okay. :rolleyes:

This old thread appears to be resurrected.............anyone else have any ideas on the topic of making fatwood since it appears to be almost like hens teeth in the UK ?

cheers,
Toddy

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Wyevale Garden Centres were selling bundles (10-12 sticks) for £1.99 this summer. Had a Mexican type name like Ocave or something similar. Very cheap and they did work very well. Don't know how widespread Wyvale are though! I bought 10 packs over the summer still have some, somewhere.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was burning a load of eucalyptus this weekend (just trimmed branches). I left it for a month or so and was having an autumn bonfire and chucked them on - man it went up like fireworks! Can't believe it would work like fatwood but another burny fact filed away!

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Someone told me that eucalyptus grew well here but I don't think I've ever seen it........does it thrive where you are ?
I've got some eucalyptus globulus and some e.radiata which smells a lot less biting.......be nice to grow it.

cheers,
Toddy

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Pedantic too........okay. :rolleyes:

This old thread appears to be resurrected.............anyone else have any ideas on the topic of making fatwood since it appears to be almost like hens teeth in the UK ?

cheers,
Toddy

:rolleyes: Before I knew what it was I had this old pine tree in the garden that had been topped by a bad storm, it was about a year later that we cut it down for fire wood. Thinking backit had a really resiny and turpsy smell pine, Oops I think we burnt about 12 feet of fatwood in about 3 day's. It was really easy to light and burnt really well.

The stumps still there :D But not for long :D

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
Someone told me that eucalyptus grew well here but I don't think I've ever seen it........does it thrive where you are ?
I've got some eucalyptus globulus and some e.radiata which smells a lot less biting.......be nice to grow it.

cheers,
Toddy

It certainly thrives well in the north, I felled a big one recently, nice smell. It had grown to a huge size in a short time. I believe it was also planted in large amounts (in wales?) when it was investigated by the FC as an alternative to sitka spruce for plantations.

Oh, maybe I was being pedantic, but that kind of information can cost lives.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Chips this is the UK, the stuff doesn't seem to really develop here. Maya sticks and dust do work, agreed some varieties better than others. Who would take them as anything other than as kindling ? That's all they do.......get them alight and they will carry the flame until bigger stuff catches. Hardly life threatening.
Besides, the damned stuff is expensive, cotton wool pads wiped with vaseline work even better and cost buttons.

Thank you for the information on the Eucalyptus, do you know of a site where the trees may be found in Scotland ?

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Mary,

Chuffing stuff grows at an enormous rate here - I have a tree of some 50' plus out the front and its gaining hugely. I lop 6' side growth off it each year to keep the front yard wide enough for the larger farm vehicles to get past. My buddy planted a couple in his garden and they were 20' tall in three years or so. A pretty tree but very vigorous. Weird bark habit though - the bark sloughs off all the time like a snake shedding skin - great 6' lengths of it just drop off. New stuff always grows underneath though - bit like paper birch but this stuff is thick - maybe 1/4"

If you ever want a car full just let me know!

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bit like Leylandii then ?
If you have time I would like a little of the wood, maybe a bit of bark........but I mean small bits, sorry you can burn the car load :D
Does it work for hearthboards or is it too resinous ? Does it make tar like birch does or turpentine like stuff like pine ?
Could it maybe be used like pinewood candles ?

cheers,
Mary

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its odd stuff. I have never really seasoned it so I couldn't say as a hearth to be honest. The foliage sure smells of eucalyptus. Its quite a blond wood - tight grained and quite oily. I have collected the bark up before now in the hopes of the bark being a good firelighter but its nothing special although its aways very dry. I always think it should be good for something - I just can't figure out what. It comes away in huge strips. I can't see it as cordage as its very stiff. When I burn it I fancy the oils are in the leaves - they don't half burn quick and fierce. Much more so than the bark or wood. Not being a native I don't know much what to make of it (other than a bonfire). Maybe one of our Aussie members can shed some light - I know there are lots of varieties of it so I suspect it might vary by type.

Remind me as I will have forgotten by the weekend and I'll send you a bit to play with

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make wonderful scented candles by heating bog myrtle leaves and cones in hot wax and then straining it. I wonder if the eucalytus leaves would work the same way ?

The strained leaves and comes and residual wax makes excellent fire starts too. I just roll it into like balls like medieval washballs and put them on a fire that won't pull away.......fair does afterwards :D

cheers.
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah - no bog mytle here sadly (at least none I know)......weird how different the ecologies are huh?

I reckon you could certainly steam extract the oil from the foliage - it fairly hums. Or a still of course - I hear they are legal for extracting EO but I don't know anyone who actually does that?

I may have to try the waxy candle thing.....for BB of course. Heaven forfend a bearded bushie type liked smelly candles ;)

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would you like a barter then ? The Gale is losing it's leaves but I have some dried for dyestuff.........makes great pot pourri too........that I could send, and if reminded later on I'll happily gather you some fresh with the sticky resinous rich flowers too.

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No need right now Mary - I'm up to my ears in projects for the winter this year - just need to find more time :) PM me your addy and I'll post you a bit when I can do some tree butchery :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh I know that feelling well :rolleyes: By now my season is usually quiet and instead I've got work right through November too, and I got three job offers during filming this weekend as well :cool:
It's apples just now though; my tree has just dumped about 50kgs of them. So far it's been dried apples, froxen apples, pureed apples, spong pudding-ed apples, apple and rowan jelly, fruit leather apples, apple spread..........any other ideas gratefully received.........might start a thread on this and ask what other folks do with them.
I did make faggots from the prunings for the fire under the chute as well.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE