Fat inspiration

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Cooked a lovely plump shoulder of Lamb today, and the amount of fat rendered off it was immense!

It got me thinking, what Bushcrafty things / projects could i use the fat for? Fuels / ointments etc?

Shame to throw it in the bin...ahem....i mean the food recycle bin.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not sure if you can use it like goose fat and store meat in it in a jar. Probably. Or just keep it as dripping, or as cooking fat for roast potatoes etc. Think of it as austerity measure.

I never throw fat away if I can help it.

grouse

Mar 6, 2011
derbyshire
Reckon that if lamb fat was used in roast tatties it would make you very thirsty?

However would be a great water proof leather dressing.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
How would i go about making a candle?? Sounds like fun

I think they'll go rancid quite quickly and they'll certainly produce a lot of soot - but you just need some natural fibre to make the wick, tie a weight on the end of this - you keep dipping this in the fat and cooling it, building up coats of fat until the candle has reached the size you want.

Alternatively suspend the wick in a jar and pour the fat in to make a jar candle.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
How would i go about making a candle?? Sounds like fun
I used to use them when away fishing any fat will do get a nice big wick 1 inch wide is good, next get a large tin can and drill a hole straight through it about an inch from the top and use a bit of wire to suspend the wick fill the can with hot fat let it set and voila one fat candle ,sitting in a fishing shelter they are good and give off a bitt of heat ,the down side is they give off a bit of smoke but outside its no problem

Jason

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
-You could blend a little fat (also some charcoal) with pine resin to make it less brittle.
-Fire piston lubricant, non-petroleum lubricants are best if you have a rubber seal. Lubricate anything I guess. Lard is also supposed to be good on tools (eg shovel blade and wooden handles etc). You may have to be ware about animals taking a liking to them ?
-Lard can be added to pie crusts (baking) and are supposed to give excellent flavours.
-I've smeared lard onto damp logs to help the fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE