Fat blokes and bushy clobber?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have noticed although the majority of Bush types on here are broadly of around average size we do have a fair number of chappies that are of a more "prosperous" size. Can I ask where are you getting your outdoor hard wearing type clothing from?

I for example love military surplus stuff because of of the colour, hard wearing nature and price of it, but am often unable to get clothes to fit as for fairly obvious reasons chunky soldiers do not tend to exist in great quantity. The RAF strangely do go to fat sizes but generally not in the right colours. Other than a few bits and pieces I have not found much that fits.

Have any of you bigger guys found items in the ex-military line that have proved serviceable? As for my finds I have a an RAF wool jumper and Goretex jacket which is actually if anything to big they go up to size 130 (around 54" chest) and I currently have on order at Endicotts a Swedish smock that should fit according to Kevin Endicott.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
im 20 stone. Bottom half is fairly average so trews are never really a problem. I dont have a lot of issue kit as ike you say it doeasnt really fit. A lot of my gear focus is on cold weather and my biggest problem is getting layering systems that work. Sleeka jackets go pretty big and can be had on the bay for £20. Swedish M90 winter parka are epic sized if you are looking for something warm. As you mention the snow smocks are very roomy too. Ive found issue norgie tops are pretty roomy too. i got three from RTI in lutterworth that fit fine and make excellent base / mid layers. For my other layers i use woolpower ulfrotte which are very spendy but just work. 5.11 tactical shirts are very hard wearing and go to big sizes but again not cheap.

Sleeping bags can also be an issue. I invested in western mountaineering gear as the american stuff tends to come in fat boy sizes with a more generous cut. Snugpak elite range of bags in this country come with a built in expander panel and you can get an additional insert that makes them even bigger. At around £100 for an elite 4 they are a good buy. The army arctic bag is also roomy if you get the large size and these can be had for £30

It also depends on how 'bushy' you want to look. Plenty of civvy type go outdoors stuff comes in good size ranges too.

Rab winter jackets also come up large. I have a photon belay in 2xl and its huge

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I am the same as you two guys. Trousers are not a huge problem fo me either. I tend to buy Craghoppers even though I would not call them particularly heavy duty they do the job for the most part. Jumpers, shirts and jackets are where I lose out. I have a 50 -52" chest and sadly most things tend to top out at 46" with a few items stretching to 48". I know you can get civvy stuff that fits but as soon as I start spending serious money on items of clothing or kit I get precious about them and stop using them for their intended purpose.

Has anyone ever posted on line a sizing chart for army gear? I am fairly fluent in the Brit army sizing but German and Swedish stuff leaves me nonplussed!

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Mountain warehouse for trousers
and peacocks for shirts and like

I picked up an OD Tornado fleece from MW the other week for £20.00. That is a nice windproof fleece for the money. It is cheap enough to not be frightened of getting the odd spark hole in it too. The trousers I have bought from them have not been so good though and are no better than Regatta which to me is all show and no go.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The Germans must have some big proper sized blokes in their service (all that sausage and pork) as even at my biggest I could always get Flecktarn gear in my size. In fact now that I'm fairly svelte I'm going to have to look into getting stuff in smaller sizes.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
mate for sizes up to 5xl try 'premier man' they do these:

jacamo1_zpsd4118d60.jpg

pm3_zpsd9f2a4ac.jpg

pm1_zps8dc9ae95.jpg

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I'm 5ft 6 15.5 stones and have a 50 inch chest, and I struggle like hell to get stuff to fit around my upper and lower arms not to mention my upper thighs so have no choice but army surplus it's the only thing that will cater for my shape.not that I mind too much as the gear is cheap and I'm not frightened to put it through it paces .

bushferret

Jun 15, 2013
United Kingdom
I use Barbour especially their wax jackets iv'e had one for over 20 years now and if looked after will last a lifetime.Also Hogg's of Fife do country clothing that is robust and at a slightly reduced price than Barbour although you can pick up pre used items up from E bay and both suppliers go into the XXXL size range.
Cheers
Bushferret

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I usually just wear the same clothing I would have worn as everyday or work clothing so it's USUALLY not too difficult. Dickies makes shirts, t-shirts, and blue jeans in sizes to fit fairly easily. I guess for reference it might help to know just what sizes those are for me so here we go: I stand 6'2" tall and weigh250 pounds with a 42" waist. That said, most XXL (American sizing) shirts and or jackets fit me except for the length. I'm built a bit odd in that I have short legs and a long torso so I usually have to get my shirts and t=shirts in "tall" sizes as well such as XXLT or 19-T if their sized in more conventional nomenclature. Dickies makes these and much, much larger. Blue jeans are even easier as I wear a size 42" x 32" (I said I have short legs for my height)

Coat size can be a bit more difficult if I stray from work or military clothing due to the height thing. It's relatively easy to find size XXL (or size 50-52) in and of itself, but not necessarily so easy to find them in "long" or "tall" sizes; with outdoor work coats it's not usually a problem. Likewise sweaters can be difficult more due to the height than the thickness but Cabela's carries tall sizes in them as they do in long-johns and union suits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE