Farmer's son killed by 'rabbit flu'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
A farmer's son died of blood poisoning apparently caused by a dead rabbit he had handled four days earlier.

John Freeman, 29, is believed to have picked up the bacterium Pasteurella multocida through a blister on his thumb after a late-night rabbit shoot. The next day he fell ill with a fever, which doctors thought was flu, but he later collapsed and died in hospital.

The bacterium is commonly found in the mouths of cats and dogs and in the sinuses of both wild and domestic rabbits, causing snuffles or "rabbit flu". However, only "a handful" of humans are seriously infected each year, according to the Health Protection Agency. It is typically passed to humans through animal bites and can be treated successfully with antibiotics.

Some research suggests that it affects 20 to 50 per cent of those bitten by dogs or cats, but deaths are "extremely rare" and caused when the infection reaches the bloodstream, the HPA said.

With a temperature of 101F, he felt cold and was sweating heavily, but was sent home by his doctor to recuperate from what appeared to be flu. He returned to his GP's surgery the next day and collapsed as the doctor made arrangements to admit him to Ipswich Hospital.

Mrs Freeman said: "There was nothing more they could do for him. The consultant was with him all the time, but he was beyond help."

Doctors believed at first that he had died from E.coli food poisoning, but a post mortem examination revealed that he had died of septicaemia apparently caused by Pasteurella multocida, a cause of respiratory problems in rabbits. There was no evidence of an animal bite, and Mr and Mrs Freeman believe that the bacterium was passed from a rabbit through a blister on their son's thumb.

"We just want to warn all country people that it is possible to get this infection," said Mrs Freeman. "Most don't think twice about picking up a dead rabbit, but they need to be aware of the dangers. People with pet rabbits can potentially pick up infection as well."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...4AVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2006/08/21/nrabbit21.xml

Also posted on British Blades.

maximus otter

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
My condolences to the familly,

I must admit having shot countless numbers of the pesky varmints, this is the first time i have ever heard of this rabbit flu. It sounds fairly rare to get to this unfortunate stage but never the less a risk we should all be aware of.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
ArkAngel said:
My condolences to the familly,

I must admit having shot countless numbers of the pesky varmints, this is the first time i have ever heard of this rabbit flu. It sounds fairly rare to get to this unfortunate stage but never the less a risk we should all be aware of.

We were warned about this possibility on the woodlore course but I dont think anybody really took it seriously. A couple of experienced rabbit takers silently poo-pooed the idea i think. Ill take it to heart in future though.

Apparently the simple precaution of covering open cuts etc with a waterproof plaster is sufficient to remove the possibility of infection. Can anyone more knowledgeable than me comment on this?

Nick

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i think he must have skinedit/dressed it. it's blood got in to his don't think he just picked one up saying that i've never heard of it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE