Farmer sprays cyclist wild camper.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes, farmer went over the top in his reaction.

However, does nobody camping on worked farming land follow the well known practise of pitching late and striking early to avoid being found and being moved on or becoming an issue of conflict? To me it didn't look like an early riser that bike packer camping there.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I'm not sure how true it is but the camper was apparently on a charity bike ride.
Again, not certain but it looked like the farmer was using his phone whilst on a public road as well while operating machinery.

I get that they get annoyed if they catch people on their land, but a conversation before hand would of almost certainly had the camper moving on to another spot

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I get that they get annoyed if they catch people on their land, but a conversation before hand would of almost certainly had the camper moving on to another spot
I didn't see anything to say this was done with or without a conversation first. Without knowing that you could just as easily assume the farmer had a few conversations with the camper and had got nowhere. You're probably right that there wasn't a discussion beforehand but I still think assumptions don't help and possibly indicates possibility of bias.

I just think late pitch and early depart is always advisable in such sneaky camps. That's of course if you have to and can't move on a little to a better site option, which is better still.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I didn't see anything to say this was done with or without a conversation first. Without knowing that you could just as easily assume the farmer had a few conversations with the camper and had got nowhere. You're probably right that there wasn't a discussion beforehand but I still think assumptions don't help and possibly indicates possibility of bias.

I just think late pitch and early depart is always advisable in such sneaky camps. That's of course if you have to and can't move on a little to a better site option, which is better still.

The video I saw earlier in the week showed the farmer driving down the country road, spotting the camper in the field and making some comment about it, turning the tractor into the field and then went ahead and sprayed him and the tent.

Not saying either party is innocent, but from what I saw it could of been handled a lot better either way- but for all I know perhaps it's a regular occurrence for the farmer and its got to breaking point, we all have them.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
very sad. we are all human beings. this article in the Sun newspaper just wants to perpetuate the idea of conflict between people. Who knows whether the farmer or the camper are in the right. there are always 3 sides to any argument-mine, yours and the truth. Lets have more media reports about how people are working together succesfully and less articles perpetuating division between country and town.

Reactions: GreyCat and dwardo

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hard thing at this time of year, to be away early enough, when the sun is up from 5:30 to 20:30.

It does seem a gross overreaction, but I do wonder what experiences the farmer had before. I was chatting to a local farmer near some National Trust land who had a Footpath run through his farm yard. He described regularly having people wandering around off path, climbing fences and being belligerent and abusive when told they were off path, or being asked to watch out for farm equipment.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I can imagine that from a farmer’s perspective it could feel like they have one long conversation with the same camper, who happens to wear many faces. For the camper, they, the spot and the night are unique and special.

Booking camp sites ahead is a pain if you are just one person with a car and small tent, but must be more so with a bike. I have passed up sites where they wanted to charge me the same price as a family with a mobile Nissen hut. However, if you are midweek or off peak, you can often just turn up on sites whose websites say “prebook only”.

The farmer wasn’t just an idiot for filming himself….but how the heck did the footage get out? He must have shared it with others who shared it further. Really stupid.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I can imagine that from a farmer’s perspective it could feel like they have one long conversation with the same camper, who happens to wear many faces. For the camper, they, the spot and the night are unique and special.

It’s not exactly the same but I have a similar situation at work where people park where they shouldn’t. As far as the people are concerned it’s exactly as you say - just them - whereas from the other side it’s many!

Reactions: GreyCat

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Once again; in light of this incident I can see the positive sides of my sparsely populated country. Outside metropoles of the largest cities there are planty of forestland by the roads to camp in, no need to use farmland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE