Faraday cage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alvariam

Jan 13, 2022
Kettering
Just knocked up a faraday cage from an old metal bread tin. Made the lid a good fit and managed to get an electrical fit, and the tin conducts current all round. Now whilst it seems to block mobile phone signals it does not block 2 way radios. I assume there is a good technical reason for this, but not my strong point. Does anybody have any ideas about this ?

• Haha
Reactions: wingstoo

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You can probably find all you want to know and more by searching up on EMC enclosures, which is what you have tried to make.

Are your 2-way radios on UHF or VHF. The answer to why the phone was blocked is likely to be in the frequency used, and possibly the power of the transmission, a cell tower x miles away vs a radio just a few feet away.

I am not strong on electrical engineering, but I know that merely getting the lid and body of a box to be electrically connected is not enough to reliably block electromagnetic waves. Get a thin gap and it can act like an antenna for the right wave. The usual way is to have a lid that fits the body to form a convoluted path, and/or to use a conductive gasket between the two.

I am curious why you decided to make one?

ATB

Chris

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
To make your bread bin a true faraday cage it needs to have a total seal. Which means your bread tin needs to be fully sealed i.e. if you can open it ...... it isn't sealed. Unless your lid fits via knife edge baffle it is a very nice tin but not a faraday cage.

Years ago I worked inside a faraday cage which had a double door entrance ( like an air lock) to maintain the seal and a crypto lock on the outside. As the door was a great big thing it also had a Huge handle. Many was the time staff would walk up to the door, type in last weeks code and without waiting, try to open the door. As it was a very big handle the door would move, as it was locked it would not move very far..... just enough to f&ck the lock. Meanwhile the off going staff where now stuck inside!! "Ring Ring" hello boss they have done the door in again, going to need an armed guard on the emergency exit as it is now the only way in and out until we fit a new lock......AGAIN!

Alvariam

Jan 13, 2022
Kettering
I thought it was a frequency thing. I see some homemade cages on ytube so thought I would give it a try. Only tin I had was an old bread tin. I might try an old ammo tin which will probably seal better as the lid pulls down tight.
And the bread was gobbled up a long time ago !!!!

• Haha
Reactions: wingstoo and TeeDee

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
It's to do with power as you would expect but also the frequency. A very long time ago I used to work in radar and EMC and IIRC it was to do with waveguide beyond cutoff. As mentioned unless there is a conductive gasket or interlocking edges there will be an gap that EM radiation can sneak through or penetrate.

Gaskets needs to block signals by having an effective thickness to attentuate to zero (log scales I think so think half then half then half etc, never zero) The gaskets we used to use in our test equipment was rubber but coated with metal mesh to give a bigger effective thickness. Any gaps need to be long enough/narrow enough to do the same and that was to do with wavelength interactions or some such....

Think it's been 25 years since I thought about this stuff so I could be talking nonsense! :) But some googling should clarify

Reactions: C_Claycomb

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Most gaps in an "ill-formed" cage are not of a size close to the wavelength and so are not a function of frequency. It is more the fact that EHF and above attenuate quickly over distance. Signal will however leak from gaps in the conductive seal. Using a baffle means signals going up hit a metal screen, signals going left to right hit a barrier, 30 degrees 50, 71, 92, whatever all hit a barrier. Of course it still needs to be more than a bit of cooking foil!
The metal mesh helmets that Rader techs wear have a mesh which is a quarter lambda shorting link, different concept to a faraday cage.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
As someone once told me.

There are teams creating Faraday cages that cost tens of thousands of pounds to try and stop a EMP and yet there are people who think they can do the job as well with a tin can and an earth strap.

Really people, don't waste too much time trying to make a DIY Faraday cage, it isn't worth it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, a lot of money goes into protecting electronics from EMI.

We used to design and supply military electronics and spent tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of pounds designing, testing, and having qualified the enclosures that house the electronics - both to protect it from EMI and to prevent radiation of noise from the equipment itself.

Alvariam

Jan 13, 2022
Kettering
Having delved into the subject a bit more I think I`ll just wrap in kitchen foil, which does seem to block mobile phone signals.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Having delved into the subject a bit more I think I`ll just wrap in kitchen foil, which does seem to block mobile phone signals.

Can I ask what is the reasoning or thought process behind the WHY you want a Faraday cage?

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
"Ring Ring" hello boss they have done the door in again, going to need an armed guard on the emergency exit as it is now the only way in and out until we fit a new lock......AGAIN!
I can think of 2 places where opening emergency doors gets a rapid response of heavily armed chaps and chapesses. Impressive to watch when its a real emergency.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Impressive to watch when its a real emergency.
Much more impressive is watching some devil getting the b@llocking of his life from a Warrant Officer who until then I had thought so benign! Topped off with a senior Navel officer heard to say "What the 7uck do you fly boys do in there!!!"

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Much more impressive is watching some devil getting the b@llocking of his life from a Warrant Officer who until then I had thought so benign! Topped off with a senior Navel officer heard to say "What the 7uck do you fly boys do in there!!!"
Navel officers are the pits..

Reactions: ANDYLASER

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE