Fantastic CUSTOM Tenth Wonder hammock & tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Hammock-1jpeg.jpg
[/IMG]
Hammock-5.jpg
[/IMG]
Hammock-7.jpg
[/IMG]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw on fleabay an advert for Tenth Wonder Hammocks, particularly a comment that they enjoyed making one offs ie. custom hammocks and tarps.

I sent an email to tenthwonderhammocks@bluebottle.com and received a reply from Neil Caldicott, who arranged for his hammock designer/maker Art Barskey to contact me...

After a few emails trading ideas etc we settled on a dark green double bottom hammock 2.7 meters long & 1.8 meters wide capable of taking my 130kg (287lbs) easily (extra strong material) with an extra bottom held on with Velcro. The tarp is a variation on their Sargasso however, it is 4.5 meters long and 4 meters wide with external hanging loops and has Velcro on the openings for foul weather when the tarp is pulled in, unlike my photographs which were taken last weekend at 29c.

What arrived exceeded all my expectations; the stitching on hammock and tarp is flawless; the material first class + little extras like an internal pocket; internal line for hanging things from ; fitted but removable alloy stretchers for the mosquito net ; internal loops on the tarp to attatch supplied bungee to the mosquito net and straps with locking sliders to pull on the net inside to prevent it flapping in bad weather and restrict it when flipped over in winter so I can use my COCOON sleeping bag over it...
designed by our own Ian Dent Willoughby

Having used this set up the hammock did not even creak when I got in it. Due to the width you can lay at an angle ie nearly flat. 4 or 5 people tried the hammock, all remarked how comfortable it was and easy to get in to. The extra bottom allows this set up to be used as a bivi (but still breathable) if there are no trees. It also creates a dead air space so I had no need for any extra insulation even though it got quite cold at night. It is also a hammock in its own right taking up to 90kg or can be used as a small tarp. Oh, and the supplied drybag acts as a knee roll (when stuffed with clothing) I sleep straight not on the bias, this stops knee ache: I forgot to ask Art for pull outs on the tarp sides for winter, he is working on a way to retro fit them...

Neither the hammock or tap are very light weight.

I understand that Tenth Wonder has made some Winter tarps which I can recommend. I have no connection with this company I am however a very satisfied customer, I am sure if you contact them with your requirements you will be just as satisfied...

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
From what I can gather then it's the extra width that is the particular difference between yours and the new double layer hammocks on tenth wonder? I have a tenth wonder gray hornet that I'm extremely happy with. Very good value for money.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
mountainm

So I understand and a camo version as well + if like me you are a fat b******d this one would be safe for 200kg & the tarp even without the tie outs will take most that winter will throw at it.

I can't wait to try this set up with Ian's Cocoon in the snow like my hero shug emmery

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE