Family Tent

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
It looks like go get the girlfriend out camping I am going to have to up the comfort level from my bushcraft kit to more of a family setup too.

I have been looking around the web and on the forum and the girlfriend has taken a liking to the Vango Icarus 500

Is there anything else worth taking a look at?

Her rules are:
She must be able to stand up in it.
Fit 4 or 5 people in with gear and not feel cramped.
And no more than £150

Thanks for your thoughts.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
The fact that she has taken a liking to the Icarus is a huge factor; and the offer at Go Outdoors is very good
For a summer camping family tent its often worth taking a look at Halfords as they often have deals and you can get extra comfort items at reduced prices
We got ours from there years ago and its been very good I must admit

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
We looked at the Icarus and ended up going for the Calisto - basically the same tent with metal poles.

Sturdy (probably a lot to do with the poles) and the finishing isn't too bad - i.e. you'll find some bits of fly sewn in and the stitching might be a tad drunk in places on the inner, etc. but nothing I saw that'd affect the tent staying together. Fabric is on the thin side so you'll have to watch trapping it in pole joints, etc but it's come through some serious rain without a problem and even took a thumb thick branch fall trying to spear it.

I think most of the tents at this price point are going to be much the same so unless you are advised that a particular brand or model is a howler. For £150 after discuonts you are going to get something useable for spring - late summer that will do fine.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Cheers guys looks like we're off to get the Icarus 500 later.

I think for the price it looks like a decent family tent.

Next will be more comfort to sleep on. And then after a few night out get the girlfriend to ditch the luxury and get into the woods

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Went to gooutdoors and had a look around the tents. Some tents were amazing but sadly a few hundred over our budget. The icarus 500 seems like a good price so we got it.

If I had the cash then I would loved to have got one of the metal poles as they seemed very solid.

It was good to go to see the tents up and get an idea of what they were like before you buy.

The girlfriend got a sleeping bag too while there and we got the extra groundsheet (hopefully that's not £30 wasted)

We're going to test put it up when the sun comes back and rain goes away as I guy I work with told me of his failed trip south when he tried to pitch his new tent to find the poles were missing (already checked there in the icuras)

My son testing out his bed
IMG-20130513-WA0000.jpg

And the girlfriend testing out her sleeping bag
IMG-20130512-WA0001.jpg

And 30mins later
IMG-20130512-WA0002.jpg

Thanks for the advice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE