Family backpacking, Scottish routes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We're looking at an unplanned backpacking trip, our first with our 10 yo son. We want a mix of wildcamping and campsites. I'm thinking doing established trails in order to take advantage of established facilities en route.

Any advice?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm thinking Scotland, midges?

I'm thinking WHW or part of it. Any others?

How would you approach it? If we choose WHW I'm thinking public transport to and from it. We're south Cumbria and on a branch line. 20 minutes to mainline station with only a few stops to Glasgow. Otherwise it's the van and leaving it somewhere safe.

Really not sure where to go. Mind you we've done a fair few summer cycle tours over 2 weeks. Scotland, Netherlands, Brittany France, Belgium, etc. This year we're looking at taking our dog which means no bikes and walking.

If not Scotland where else? I'm not a fan of southern England and gone off Wales (sorry but we've been there a bit over the years and lost interest now).

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Glen Affric Trail. To or from Loch Ness. Google is your friend.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
The Affric Kintail trail is epic, a bit out there but Britains loneliest Youth Hostel on the route. A 10 year old might struggle (or a parent carrying the load!)

Speyside or Deeside is very amenable and varied. Can start and finish at multiple points to suit, good parking, excellent trains to get to the Speyside.

I would watch out for the midgies though.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
having crewed for a mate on the west highland way uber, ultra marathon, it is a tough route in parts. But from Tyndrum or Bridge of Orchy onwards, it is a lovely route, with plenty of Bail points. Not sure about public transport overall, but Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy certainly have train stations.
Midgies are realy bad this year apparently, but all depends on when you're thinking of going. Plenty of wild camping spots along Rannoch Moor, and lots of water (just remember a water filter).

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Rannoch Moor always used to worry me. Don't remember walking there only driving across it. Anything boggy and full of water like that I guess.

We did a long weekend once along the last few stages of WHW. The main road from Rannoch to h Glen coe where it crosses to Fort William I think. Me and a few mates.

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
The Great Glen Way (Fort William to Inverness) is a nice walk we did a few years back (before kids), not as long as the WHW.Doing it in a week most of the legs were pretty reasonable about 12 miles if I remember.

Also worth looking into the Fife Coastal Path and John Muir Way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE