False Widow poisonous spider

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Indeed, I was thinking 'overblown press bulldip' esp as the headline I saw was BLACK WIDOW INVASION (but actually it's more of a distant relative that can give a bit of a nip that's a bit like a wasp sting only not so bad).

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
where is good piccy of it, the news article shows a cobweb which enlarges to a bigger cobweb :rolleyes: (I know google is >>>> that way, but lets have one here.) The are a mass of spiders scitting around my patio this year that where never where around before.

I had a Black Widow in my pantry some years ago.My Burmese cat died after being bitten. I caught the little ******* and burned it to death.Turns out the thing came from a bag of Egyptian potatoes.Egypt !!1

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
We had a Wasp Spider in our garden last year.

Wasp Spider

Gave me quite a start when I came across that one in my apple tree. My daughters kept up a regular check on its continued welfare, but it seemed to disappear after a few days. Now I read this thread a few weeks before moving not too far away from Verwood - deep joy :yikes:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

We're all gonna die! :yikes:

me no like spider.

I just hope we don't get any Camel Spiders in the UK ever - they're not poisonous...they're not even proper spiders! But they are mean and ugly and I really don't like them.

Anyway, let's get this in context: there's loads of evil spiders in Australia and there have been no deaths there since 1979. I bet that wasn't in the news report.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Confronted something similar near on the terrace of a place near Granada. It was early in the moring so the thing was not moving very fast but it was incredibly aggressive front legs and visible fangs up in the air as soon as it sensed me.

I fired it off into the campo on a bit of stick.

I'm not frightened of our proper British spiders but I treated this one with a bit of repect.

I reckon if there's one we don't want getting settled in over here it's the brown recluse. Small abd hardly ever seen but they have a penchant for sleeping in nice warm beds. Venom digests flesh causing huge swelling (think hand the size of a football) and necrosis that often requires drastic surgery.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Mikey P said:
I just hope we don't get any Camel Spiders in the UK ever - they're not poisonous...they're not even proper spiders! But they are mean and ugly and I really don't like them.

We were always bringing back Camels in our bergens to Brize from varios ops ( accidentally of course ) but they die in our climate quite fast.

Once put a camel spider, a wolf spider and a scorpion in a fish tnk for a mini battle royal - was great fun - Wolf took first place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE