Fallow Deer or Sheep ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
Could somebody tell me how to differentiate between fallow deer tracks and sheep tracks. I am in an area where we have deer in the fields which are full of winter sheep and sheep escaping into the woods where the deer hide up.

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
As Robin says, fallow deer prints are more tapered and pointy at the front, sometimes you get dew claw marks in softer ground, also their walking gait causes registration. i.e. tracks on top of other tracks. This does not happen in domestic sheep. Hope that helps a bit.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Generally deer like to keep clear of land that is being grazed by other animals.
They hate the contaminated ground that is caused by the dropping left by sheep or cattle.

i agree with that, in the Mortimer forest area around Ludlow it's noticeable how the deer are rarely seen in the same fields as sheep, however i have seen fallow regularly on a field with horses in Wyre forest, i have never known the reason why they steer clear of livestock only that it is too regular to be coincidence. Put sheep on a field and the deer go elsewhere.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That's interesting. I have only really known two deer populations, the fallow herd at Hatfield Forest in Essex certainly shared their grazing with cattle and my local red herd share grazing with sheep. Maybe they don't have so much choice? maybe in lowland farming areas the sheep are fenced in and can't get to the better grazing on the other side of the fence? Most grazing animals prefer to browse than graze given the chance, maybe just the sheep just can't jump as high.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Most stock hands around here would say,
sheep tracks normally end in a dead sheep - them being the only animal that sets out every day to find new ways of dieing.
I've heard about the registration thing but I'm nowhere near qualified enough to comment.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE