Fallkniven family pic.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

mark a. said:
I'm confused. A straight spine means worse for a hunting knife, but the H1, with its straight spine, is designed as a hunting knife?

I'm also getting confused with terminology. I thought a true drop-point blade has a straight spine, with the edge rising to meet it. Curving the spine downwards makes it more of a spear-point. Is this right?

Hi Mark, the H1 has a staight spine untill the last 10 -15mm running to the point, the point then drops a little. Effectively the H1 is not a knife for beginners, however once you have been using a knife for skinning for a while it is unlikely that you will cut anything other than that which you intend, your technique improves.

I have a number of knives which have straight spines and I would not suggest that any of them be used for skinning by someone inexperienced, but after a while you can skin and gut with most anything (I have skinned a Reindeer with a SAK), I have even seen one guy use a scalpel (blade number 10) to skin an animal (he was with the RAMC and it was the only thing he had) due to his expertise with the tool at hand he did a truly clinical job.

Spear point - take a line half the depth of the blade (spine to edge) bring the spine of the knife down to that line at the tip in a slight curve and bring the edge up following the same curve to meet the spine to form the point, in profile you will have something that looks like a bullet.

Drop point - draw a line either 1/3 or 1/4 of the way down from the spine of the knife, bring the edge up in a curve to meet this line at the point and either grind the spine down in a long slow curve to meet the edge at the point or use a point half way or 3/4 of the way along the spine and then grind it down in a curve to meet the edge at the point. This gives you two different curves, one on the spine being shallower and the one on the edge being steeper.

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
When I get all of my family back together I'll do a group picture, all of these and the NL's too :D

Tomtom....yes, you need an A2, it's a wonderful knife.....and I have a spare!

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE