Falconry

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

Just been reading about Falconry and Woodlands on the Woodlands.co.uk blog (a site which I'm sure quite a few of us window shop!). Although I'm a huge fan of Owls and birds of prey in general, I'd never considered giving falconry a try but now I've got a hankering to do just that.

Any others do or have tried it?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Go for it I say, I'd love to keep birds and one day I hope to, again you can tell from my avatar that my favorite is the Makinder eagle owl, my uncle has two and a friend of his has a owl sanctuary he has quite a few different birds of prey, theres quite a few books out there on how to keep birds of prey, some are very detailed and show you how to make leather jessies and what bits you'll need, I've got a decent book somewhere I'll have a look.( found it) Its called training birds of prey by Jemima Parry Jones its a pretty good book she really knows her stuff shes the owner and director of the national birds of prey centre in Gloucestershire ( the most significant raptor collection in the world) good luck with it I'm sure it will be very rewarding.

All the best

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
IIRC you can keep short wings without a license in the UK. A couple of friends of mine in Hampshire fly Red Tails. Seems that they had no problems with any formal paper work.
Keeping birds is doable but you have to be dedicated to them. Not "I don't feel like messing with them today" thing.
Jon R.

Dec 28, 2008
hi yeaH I HAVE DONE FALCONRY , AS PART OF THE LIVING HISTORY THAT I DO , AT THE SHOWS WE USUALLY HAVE A FALCONERCOME AND HE TEAMS UP WOTH US , AND IT ALLOWS THE PUBLIC TO HAVE FOTOS WITH KNIGHTS AND VIKINGS HOLDING BIRDS , WHAT MANY DONT REALISE IS THAT IN FALCONRY THERE IS A RANK STRUCTURE , THERE WAS CERTAIN BIRDS FOR CERTAIN RANK IE , IF U WERE A KNIGHT U WOOD HAVE A DIFFERENT BIRD TO A BARON ETC

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Lots of Falconry centres do experience days where you can meet the birds and try flying etc. My wife did that, next thing you know she's volunteering at the place 4 days a week! So be warned it can become an obsession. You will need to get your hands dirty if you're serious; like all animals, raptors take a good deal more looking after than just flying - but they are fantastic creatures.

Loads of books about, but go do it to find out. BTW Jemima Parry-Jones is NOT well thought of by most falconers I know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE