Falconry from a Fiesta?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
OK, so here's a weird experience. I was out for a training ride yesterday (cycling from John O'Groats to Lands End in June) down a quiet lane with fields on either side, when a Ford Fiesta with two gents of the larger persuasion in it came along from the other direction. As it got close, it slowed, the passenger window wound down, and before it had come to a halt a Harris Hawk was launched out the window.

The bird shot straight into a flock of crows in the field, circled a few times and landed. The passenger whistled, the bird returned to an outstretched gauntleted hand, and as soon as it was through the window the car pulled away. Just bizarre.

So I assume this is either a very lazy person trying to do some crowscaring, or just someone mucking about with their bird, but surely that can't be legal on a number of levels?:confused:

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
I dont see any issue with it, my old man an his mate go roaming the country side in his 4x4 lamping at night for rabbits his mate uses both gos an harris (find ya a piccy in a min) its i suppose a more 'natural form of pest control' They use the same technique at air ports, Of course the relevant permission is required from the land owner, i would agree however that a Ford Fiesta an the 'larger persuasion' doesn't really strike me as average legitimate pest controllers, however never judge a book by its cover as they say, there still doing the lawn owner a favour chasin crows with out driving all over his fields which is more than can be said for the usual idiots we get around our end

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
No problem at all with falconry - have been before and am booked on a weekend course later in the year - it was just the idea of driving around with a bloody great bird on the passenger's lap that was a little disconcerting...

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
it was just the idea of driving around with a bloody great bird on the passenger's lap that was a little disconcerting...

You can get done for having a dog loose on the seats of you car and I would geuss thats ilegal too due to the potentional for distracting the driver.

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
You are of course working under the assumption that the bird is loose when in fact its the opposite, when the birds on the glove and in motion its leashed up and on the glove might even been hooded as well unless you field hopping they wont be going any where.

Sao

May 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
This story reminds me of the Saxondale incident with losing two birds of prey in one day from the boot of his car :D

madi

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2010
sheffield
falconry executed this way is frowned up on by true old school falconers ,falconry imo is man and bird out in the field as one both hunting for there feed ,not two fat chavs with a £150 harris hawk from the free ads slinging the poor thing from a moving car,excuse me for my opinion but been into falconry for many years and seen this coming for a long time,go on the iff forum type in car hawking and you will get the jist of it,the hunting season is coming to a close but any member of this forum wanting a good days hunting with a fit harris hawk foc please get in touch begining of next season.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
falconry executed this way is frowned up on by true old school falconers ,falconry imo is man and bird out in the field as one both hunting for there feed ,not two fat chavs with a £150 harris hawk from the free ads slinging the poor thing from a moving car,excuse me for my opinion but been into falconry for many years and seen this coming for a long time,go on the iff forum type in car hawking and you will get the jist of it,the hunting season is coming to a close but any member of this forum wanting a good days hunting with a fit harris hawk foc please get in touch begining of next season.

Would it be more acceptable if the blokes were slimmer and it was a Land Rover? Should they pay £300?

madi

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2010
sheffield
Would it be more acceptable if the blokes were slimmer and it was a Land Rover? Should they pay £300?

This is where the problem lays ,birds are becoming far too cheap so every tom dick and harry can afford one,i remember when a harris was £1000 you didnt get idiots throwing them from a car window then ,gos owners pay upto 2k you wont see them being flown from car ,besides being dangerous to the bird and unsporting its just not falconry imo,falconry stems back thousands of years and we try keep the old traditional ways just like bushcraft.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
This is where the problem lays ,birds are becoming far too cheap so every tom dick and harry can afford one,i remember when a harris was £1000 you didnt get idiots throwing them from a car window then ,gos owners pay upto 2k you wont see them being flown from car ,besides being dangerous to the bird and unsporting its just not falconry imo,falconry stems back thousands of years and we try keep the old traditional ways just like bushcraft.

Should they only wear Harris tweed, a School tie and be related to the local landowner too?

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
You are of course working under the assumption that the bird is loose when in fact its the opposite, when the birds on the glove and in motion its leashed up and on the glove might even been hooded as well unless you field hopping they wont be going any where.

No just the assumption that a large bird prey getting in a flap on the front seat of small car would be far more of a distraction than a mobile phone.

Hood or no Hood, tethered or not is irrelevant.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
No just the assumption that a large bird prey getting in a flap on the front seat of small car would be far more of a distraction than a mobile phone.

Hood or no Hood, tethered or not is irrelevant.

You'll be surprised at how still and focused they'll sit on the fist. An experienced bird knows the score.
I was involved in bird control on military airfields for years and when rook and crow hawking, flying a peregrine out the hood from a vehicle is addictive:D
What about crow hawking from horse back? It harps back to how the "Gentry" hawked for years.

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
I understand how well trained these birds can be.

So you can garauntee it was an experienced bird. It is also just an animal and as we all some animals are unpredeictable.

Your point answers its own argument, just as Brancho can not guarantee it was a well trained bird you can neither prove it wasnt (vicious circle that we clearly dont want on these forums) However i do agree with Branchos statement as what he said was "I understand how well trained THESE brids can be. Hes not speaking from experience, in the same way i can only speak from my own experiences. When we go out with my old mans friend the bird doesnt move a muscle its more than content to just sit there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE