Falconer Hitch V Siberian Hitch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Ive always used the siberian hitch for one end of my tarp.

However, i have just learnt the falconers hitch, out of shear bordom mainly....

Im wondering if anyone else prefers this knot over the siberian hiitch & if so why? In particular im interested in how reliable the knot is. There must be some disadvantages or it would more popular?

I havn't field tested the knot myself yet, but on the surface it seems just as simple to tie, it appears secure and is also quick to release.

Personally, I cant see much differnce between the two, apart from the falconers hitch can be tied one handed; but im not sure how relevant this to tarp tieing, unless of course, you only have one hand.

Perhaps the falconers is harder to tie one handed, when using thicker cord?

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
I have now tested the falconers hitch out during the weekend and it gets the nod. I used it for one end of my ridge line. Its quick, stays put and really easy to learn. Any advantage over the Siberian hitch? Only that it can be tied with one hand ......from what I can see anyway.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've used the falconers for many years on my hammocks with no problems
Used it on 3/4 inch hemp rope and 10mm blue nylon rope again no problems
Used it in the jungle and in the UK winter snow
If you're worried about the slip undoing then tuck the loose end through the loop and pull the loop snug. Still means it can easily undone but is totally secure.
Brill knot IMO

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE