fake north face site??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I'm beginning to think folk just don't deserve "quality brands", by virtue of their lack of resepct for them and their future credibility and survival.

The World has gone brand crazy. I keep real respect for local, non-branded artisan products. Would we really suffer if a few big well established brands disappeared? I very much doubt it. In some ways we'd be better off.

Chris

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I keep real respect for local, non-branded artisan products.

Me too, couldn't agree more. I buy everything I can from local manufacturers. Unfortunately, when it comes to quality outdoor clothing and equipment (e.g. rucksacks, tents, some footwear, etc), this isn't always possible, This is when I choose a quality brand, safe in the knowledge that it will (should) be of reasonable quality, AND that it hasn't been manufactured by a child in some far-away sweat-shop.

Would we really suffer if a few big well established brands disappeared? I very much doubt it. In some ways we'd be better off.

I also would like to believe in the utopia, where we all buy locally manufactured products, made by honest, hardworking, bearded guys, with strong hands and leather aprons. But unfortunately, reality tells us that most people want to buy everything on the cheap = some poor Chinese kiddie working 14 hour shifts in a sweat-shop. A brand isn't always a guarantee (was it Nike footballs that had used child labour?), but the brand gives some protection against child labour, as well as satisfying my conscience :)

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I think you're missing the point somewhat but I don't have the energy to argue about this. I'm off out. Have a nice year.

Chris

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You raise fair points Susi,
I would simply counter, this is the real world, and big brand images do not necessarily equate with quality any longer.

HWMBLT bought the jacket because he liked the look of it and the specs. The price he paid he thought fair..........he's a Scotsman, his money's his and he'll part with it damned charily :rolleyes: He hasn't a clue that the last jacket I bought for him cost £210 :shooosh:

Multinational companies hold no allegiance to the little folks who work their production lines, when they can shift the whole enterprise somewhere cheaper and leave devastated families and communities behind to deal with no income and unemployment.
I reckon that this is what happened in China and they've just decided to use up the materials they have left.

Am I encouraging others ? No, this thread clearly points out the problems and the issues involved.
I simply gave a brief recounting of our personal experience.
Just as Shogun has............. (PINK ???:eek: Man you're going to look a honey in that :lmao:) Pity is he did get ripped off for £160 for totally the wrong jacket :( Maybe his missus will be happy with it though.

cheers,
Toddy.............who really does support Artisan craftsfolks, but sometimes life gets busy :sigh:

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Multinational companies hold no allegiance to the little folks who work their production lines, when they can shift the whole enterprise somewhere cheaper and leave devastated families and communities behind to deal with no income and unemployment.

I couldn't agree more Toddy. :) By the way, my earlier post wasn't intended as a personal attack on you :)

I just think that many of us outdoor types somehow manage to convince ourselves that we're "getting back to basics", perhaps a little more "enlightened" than consumerist, capitalist city types, perhaps even ( :eek: ) somehow cleaner-living :) But at the same time we shouldn't shy away from raising difficult issues about the ethicicity of the purchases we use for our hobby :)

Hyvää uutta vuotta kaikille! :)

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I think you're missing the point somewhat but I don't have the energy to argue about this. I'm off out. Have a nice year.

Chris

Maybe you missed my original point, a point I tried to recap in my reply to you :) Either way, there's no need for arguements :)

HNY!

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
thing is i didnt order these jackets myself..it was the missus she thought she found a bargin on the net ( computer now has password...lol..) we have bought a lot of northface jackets but never copys..still waiting for the other jacket she ordered...atb shogun

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE