FAK supplier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
If you do not yet have a FAK, then buying one off the shelf is a good first step. But I suspect that you will find that you start to modify it pretty quickly based on experience.

Some of the FAKs I have bought have enough linen in them to truss all four legs of an elephant. None of them had 600mg Ibuprofen tabs for when you want to really forget about the pain. Ditto Betadine for washing cuts.

Into the space vacated by the yards of cloth, I include in my kit iodine tabs for water purification, one reel of fishing line and some hooks. Water-proof matches, a ferro-magnesium fire-stick, two Wet Fire tabs, a compass plus a signal mirror and whistle.

The rationale behind this is that whether I am day-packing or gearing up for a longer trip, I still know that the one (water-proof) little red bag holds all the essentials. It becomes second nature to chuck that one thing in the bag.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
zambezi said:
If you do not yet have a FAK, then buying one off the shelf is a good first step. But I suspect that you will find that you start to modify it pretty quickly based on experience.

Some of the FAKs I have bought have enough linen in them to truss all four legs of an elephant. None of them had 600mg Ibuprofen tabs for when you want to really forget about the pain. Ditto Betadine for washing cuts.

Into the space vacated by the yards of cloth, I include in my kit iodine tabs for water purification, one reel of fishing line and some hooks. Water-proof matches, a ferro-magnesium fire-stick, two Wet Fire tabs, a compass plus a signal mirror and whistle.

The rationale behind this is that whether I am day-packing or gearing up for a longer trip, I still know that the one (water-proof) little red bag holds all the essentials. It becomes second nature to chuck that one thing in the bag.

Agreed

An off the shelf kit gives you most of the basics that can then be improved/customised to your liking. Mine's very similar to Zambezi's and is suited to my needs.

One think to remember is to check it once in a while and replace items that have been used or are out of date :wink:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
zambezi said:
None of them had 600mg Ibuprofen tabs for when you want to really forget about the pain.

And they aren't likely to ever have 600Mg Ibuprofen in them Mate....400Mg is the strongest you can buy over the counter, you need a prescription for the 600mg's..... Just take 1 and a 1/2 of them! :rolmao:

Sorry, that sounded a bit pedantic..... just got visions of people search for FAK's up and down the country with 600Mg tab that won't be in them! lol

Totally agree on customising the kit....and I have pretty much the same as you in mine, puritabs, hexi tabs and puri-straw as well as the actual 1st aid items.... :wave:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Celtic dragon, were you looking at anything specific on that site or just that it will cover everything you could want?

The pouches they sell state that they are supplied empty but can be kitted out if you wish. Should we try and price up a filled pouch and see who wants one?

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
For portability and and because the kit is waterproof, I can highly recommend the following FAK from Lifesystems [I would still modify the contents as per the notes earlier in this thread]:

fak_waterproof_260px.jpg

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
tenbears10 said:
Celtic dragon, were you looking at anything specific on that site or just that it will cover everything you could want?

The pouches they sell state that they are supplied empty but can be kitted out if you wish. Should we try and price up a filled pouch and see who wants one?

I was looking for something that would cover everything I wanted, but putting together out own kit for bushcraft needs would be ideal.. They do refil packs which are supplied without a case, which for me isn't a great problem as I'm getting one courtesy of the MOD (free).

I was also going to see if they have a shop onsite or at least if one could turn up and pay for goods as they are only 4.5 miles from my parents, and now I don't have a card accepted by online retailers can't order online. Picking up would also be better as it means no P+P.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
OK so are you looking at pricing a standard kit without pouch and see if they do a discount for us buying 10 or so of everything?

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I will endeavour to find out what price breaks are available.

But can we put a list together of what we would like to see in a general kit, (we can modify to suit our individual tastes later)

Edit
How many people would be wanting pouches, ex mod 1's are readily available and quite cheap, and would fit on belts and rucsac waist / shoulder straps.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I'll have a look tonight, and contact SPS tomorrow. Or failing that I'll ask my dad to use is business to get the kit, even if its only samples of what we want, we will have an idea on quality.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Just a thought St Johns supplies say they price match. They may have the same stuff at a bit less money.

I'm happy to go though what in my FAK and what gets changed at times when we're at ashdown

I've never had the problem of needing some bit of kit and not having something which will do the job. I have used everything in my kit at some point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE