Fairbairn Sykes recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moley1508

Aug 6, 2016
billericay
thanks all, its not going to be a user thats for sure!!

would just like one in the collection given its history and iconic (in my opinion) design

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
thanks all, its not going to be a user thats for sure!!

would just like one in the collection given its history and iconic (in my opinion) design

How much can you scrape together for one? I may be able to find you an issue one it should be still boxed and will be modern so 3rd pattern but the ribbing is different.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
They were never intended as anything other than a dagger, a dagger is not a bushcraft knife, it has only one job to do, and that is to penetrate and quickly, it is a fighting weapon not a tool.

They are a tool, just that it is a soldiers combat fighting knife (Royal Marines / Special forces) tool...

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
They are a tool, just that it is a soldiers combat fighting knife (Royal Marines / Special forces) tool...

That is a technicality, to the fighting forces a howitzer and a hand grenade are tools, but in the hands of the general public they are weapons. I have a sword, it is a weapon, if I were a medieval knight it might be a tool, but damn all use for bushcraft. I own it as a work of art.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh

i was following this thread, and thought I’d have a go at making a copy of this knife. Ive taken the plan from the wikipedia entry, and using 5mm steel i use for throwing knives. Itll take a while, but i think itll be a nice shed project for the autumn

Jul 24, 2017
somerset

i was following this thread, and thought I’d have a go at making a copy of this knife. Ive taken the plan from the wikipedia entry, and using 5mm steel i use for throwing knives. Itll take a while, but i think itll be a nice shed project for the autumn

Go for it! I made a 1st pattern, the handle was the hard bit but had use of a mate's lathe, turning it down by eye and feel and finished with file and paper took a whole day.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Just an idea:

What about doing a single edged knife, with a slightly mote pronounced belly and slightly thicker handle, that looks lika a FS, but can be used while in Nature?
Symmetrical blade.
Think a love child between mr Fairbairn Sykes and Miss Mora 2000?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Yep, the handle may take a bit of whittling...I've no lathe, but may try something with a drill...
I like the idea of the single edged knife to use... this one, as I'm not 100% sure of the metal may wind up a "display" item. the steel is fine for throwing knives and has stood up to a fair bit of flinging around, but it came from a friends shed so I have no idea what grade it is!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My idea came from the fact that you will be spending a lot of time and skill, and it would be pity if it was unusable.

Also, a very usable FS dagger looking knife would be pretty cooll.....

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Its been awhile sonce i got a chance to do anything on this knife project, but this is what I’ve done so far.
The blade is getting slowly polished, the handle from an old file handle is beilg carved then sanded. Its starting to look more like the picture in Wikipedia, but still some way to goA0268010-4453-40E5-93B1-3C08163B8E60.jpegC14D25D8-F90C-467A-9CEA-23BA4B5F969A.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE