F-A-K- Realistic Carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've noticed no-one has mentioned gloves yet.
For me, my top two are:
Nitryl gloves
CPR face shield.

As said before, knowledge is key and I can improvise most stuff but if I encounter someone else, especially in urban or rta situations, then self protection is top of my list.

My kit is there solely for my own use. I'm not too fussed about getting my own blood on my hands, and I can't really do CPR on myself... Hence why they aren't included.

Fair point, but I'd rather have a hi-vis vest, goggles and particle mask in an RTC/urban scenario.

Not to mention knee pads, rain gear, leather gloves, etc.

For an every day carry pocket pack, you've got to draw the line somewhere and we're drifting from self-help to providing first response trauma care in major incidents?

Quite, I would want to add O2, Entonox, iGels, OP airways and and and and and and wait, I can't lift this kit, can we put it on wheels...

You have to draw the line with what you think is an acceptable level of injury for you to treat. You need to be able to say "9 times out of ten I can treat what happens, but there is going to be that 10% where I'm just out of luck..."

It's also worth noting that what you carry for a walk in the woods is not the same as you would have as a vehicle first aid kit (which would include mouth shield/pocket mask, gloves etc...).

Nothing beats having appropriate first aid training, but better than nothing might be the St.John Ambulance or British Red Cross phone app.

I completely agree, and as well as the training, practice. Practice practice practice. You can get non sterile training dressings when you buy supplies from the likes of SP services, which allows you to practice with what you carry.

When was the last time you tried to put a bandage on yourself...

J

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
1. Superglue
2. Rubbing alcohol
3. Sterile bandage
4. Bite and sting relieve (waspease is brilliant)
5. Piriton
6. A sling
7. Compression bandage
8. Cocodomol
9. Forceps
10. Plasters

mick91..........
should we be worried about closing up a wound with dirt in it, should there be some 'wound wash' and use that before the superglue?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just to update my original contribution. I've replaced the IDF dressing with a [thread=133385]T4 trauma dressing[/thread].

J

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
1. Superglue
2. Rubbing alcohol
3. Sterile bandage
4. Bite and sting relieve (waspease is brilliant)
5. Piriton
6. A sling
7. Compression bandage
8. Cocodomol
9. Forceps
10. Plasters

I would also include the most important 11. Knowledge of how to use them. I studied medicine at uni and that's what I would carry as it can a dress most likely situations. People will claim that regular superglue is different to medical glue, it is, medical glue contains a dye called methelene blue to show where it is on skin and nothing more, it's all cyanoacrylate. I also carry sutures but if you don't know how to suture it's pointless. I'm not massive on carrying big kits day to day, obviously on larger outings I take one. As for painkillers and antihistamines carry whatever works for you, and remember that antihistamines are also useful for bites and stings. If you aren't comfortable with wound closure using glue then butterfly clips will do. But once you've seen severe bleeding or total exsanguination up close you realise how important closure and forceps can be!
OK I will bite. Medical glue is not the same as super glue. It doesn't have a dye at all. Super glue is methyl-2 or ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate, Medical glue is 2-octyl cyanoacrylate similar but far from the same. The latter was developed to deal with the irritation caused by superglue and the excess heat and cell damage it's approved by MHRA. The super glue formulations are not.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
OK I will bite. Medical glue is not the same as super glue. It doesn't have a dye at all. Super glue is methyl-2 or ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate, Medical glue is 2-octyl cyanoacrylate similar but far from the same. The latter was developed to deal with the irritation caused by superglue and the excess heat and cell damage it's approved by MHRA. The super glue formulations are not.
I assure you it does have a dye added I've used it many times, it's possible it comes without but I've used the kind with blue dye and red dye. The meth/eth 's octyl statement is true though as it is slightly more irritating. But in lieu of actual medical glue it works just fine. And octylcyanoacrylate has not been used all that long. It doesn't heat up quite as much in the curing process but is largely the same and has the same effect. Neither one is probably ideal, but first aid rarely is

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
As someone who cuts myself a lot on my allotment I always carry a FAK which contains antiseptic gel and a roll of plaster to be cut to size, individual band aids never seem to stick. Essentially it is based on experience. When I am out walking I also carry compression bandage, again based on experience. I do also carry a few more items and tweezers are among them but basically I am concerned with cuts and grazes not getting infected.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE