Eye-candy treat !!!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That's a great movie. So over the top, but still realistic in a way.:)

We both love it (Hubby & me), completely OTT and yet it gets right to the spirit of Thermopylae and Sparta. I always feel really sorry for the elephants though :(. Whatever ... just about to make the chocolate and popcorn :lmao: Oh and I love the monster-beast-jackal he kills at the beginning.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And of course Leonidas in history had the right two word answer to arms control

μολὼν λαβέ

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

μολὼν λαβέ

:lmao:

Tricky when the pointy bit is pointed at you. :)

I read recently that a sequel is planned, same director/cinematographer and covering the sea battles against the Persians.

Elen Sentier

μολὼν λαβέ

an exemplary use of a laconic phrase :lmao: and we just done "fight in the shade" ... and we've jst got to the elephants, for whom I feel very sorry!

Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, by Spartan law, we lie.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One of my faves is: - Philip II of Macedon proclaims: "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city." According to accounts, the Spartan ephors sent back a one word reply: "If." Subsequently both Philip and Alexander avoided Sparta entirely." A bit like General Anthony Clement McAuliffe, who was the acting division commander of the 101st Airborne Division troops defending Bastogne, Belgium during World War II's Battle of the Bulge. He is famous for his single-word reply of "Nuts!" in response to a German surrender ultimatum.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
This will wake you up! [video=youtube;KDRAhiBtOrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDRAhiBtOrQ[/video]

Biker

Was that Mr Bean dressed as a German Stormtrooper?

Love that scene, thanks for the Monday morning chuckle.

Oh and Goatboy, your video did indeed wake me up. Thanks!

Incidently I don't have a TV so I missed out on watching 300 last night, so I rectified that by watching it on DVD before going to sleep, a decadent indulgence but what the hell eh?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not as good as this one...

[video=youtube;-Li65P_3lvM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Li65P_3lvM[/video]

:)

There's also the "Come and take it" when asked of the Fort Alamo bunch by the Mexicans to return their cannon. Though this is paraphrasing King Leonidas again. A good list of laconic replies HERE.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
At a dinner in the late 1940's Lord Beaverbrook, the newspaper magnate, was sitting next to labour minister Ernest Bevin who said at one point "I've got an 'ell of an 'eadache." Beaverbrook's reply was "Why not try an aspirate."

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Is it very wrong to go on to post that Dyson was moving into the manufacture of kitchen appliances because he wanted to be a fridge magnate?

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
At a dinner in the late 1940's Lord Beaverbrook, the newspaper magnate, was sitting next to labour minister Ernest Bevin who said at one point "I've got an 'ell of an 'eadache." Beaverbrook's reply was "Why not try an aspirate."

This is superb!

Thanks

Huon

Elen Sentier

One of my faves is: - Philip II of Macedon proclaims: "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city." According to accounts, the Spartan ephors sent back a one word reply: "If." Subsequently both Philip and Alexander avoided Sparta entirely." A bit like General Anthony Clement McAuliffe, who was the acting division commander of the 101st Airborne Division troops defending Bastogne, Belgium during World War II's Battle of the Bulge. He is famous for his single-word reply of "Nuts!" in response to a German surrender ultimatum.

Love it! and "Nuts" is one of the fave responses in this household ... specially as the Germans didn't understand what he meant at first :lmao:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Really? Salamis ? Nice to see the triremes go.

Indeed. :)

300: Rise of an Empire

QHILQXX.jpg

The Greek general Themistocles battles an invading army of Persians under the mortal-turned-god, Xerxes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1253863/

Eva Green plays Artemesia, so we can expect it to be a very accurate portrayal of historic events. :)

6b8q8bK.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE