Extreme minimalism

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
Who has ever tried an overnight trip to the wilds with just the clothes on their back? I would suggest that if you really want to test your skills, give it a go.

I did it first on the last day and night of a survival course in Scotland, in November. OK....we had knives, fire steels and water bottles, but it makes you realise how hard you need to work just to be comfortable, especially when the night is minus 6C.

I say, leave your fancy stoves and bivvy bags at home, wait for a nice crisp night and go to the woods.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Hi yep several times without nothing being chased for 9 nights each time not easy and not for the fainthearted,to remove even the basic bushcraft tools and commence to adapt to the elements is tough to do it with no heat at night is also very different,as i enjoy the forum it is great to see people from adifferent walk of life challenging them selves even further,well done brown bear,or is it now GRIZZLY.CAPPI

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Who has ever tried an overnight trip to the wilds with just the clothes on their back? I would suggest that if you really want to test your skills, give it a go.

I did it first on the last day and night of a survival course in Scotland, in November. OK....we had knives, fire steels and water bottles, but it makes you realise how hard you need to work just to be comfortable, especially when the night is minus 6C.

I say, leave your fancy stoves and bivvy bags at home, wait for a nice crisp night and go to the woods.
I spent three October nights in the Dovey forest with what I stood up in, a plastic sheet, a couple of oranges and three flapjacks. No fire no sleeping bag no contact with other people, Ok it only rained for two of the three days but still, I hated every second, All I learnt was, to never ever let it happen again, Some might enjoy that kind of misery, but there again some people like being whipped and tied up. :rolleyes:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
hmm food for thought, could i survive out one night properly with just my knife and firelighting kit?
at this point i doubt it, i'm not skilled enough methinks... although after a bit of practice perhaps.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Who has ever tried an overnight trip to the wilds with just the clothes on their back?...I did it first on the last day and night of a survival course in Scotland, in November..."

And that would have been a 'wet' -6 °C in a Scottish November. :)

In more clement conditions few of us will have a problem with a single night out without gear, if sleep isn't possible, the woods and fields usually have enough going on in them to keep us entertained.

The one item that has made this kind of thing much easier for me is my Swanndri bushshirt, combined with a good wooly jumper or shirt it makes a fine sleeping bag. A match coat fashioned from a nice wool blanket would be good alternative.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I havent personally. I'd like to try it if I go to sweden in august (within view of the cabin!!) I dont have the skill set yet to be honest.

would I be right in thinking that the mantra `your knife is your life` isnt possibly adiquate in that kind of environment, that it should really be `your axe is your life`? If I was forced to choose Id take a sharp hatchet instead of a knife

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I havent personally. I'd like to try it if I go to sweden in august (within view of the cabin!!) I dont have the skill set yet to be honest.

would I be right in thinking that the mantra `your knife is your life` isnt possibly adiquate in that kind of environment, that it should really be `your axe is your life`? If I was forced to choose Id take a sharp hatchet instead of a knife

I'd say your firesteel and warm waterproof jacket with hood is your life, if I HAD to choose.

Mike

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
A few times I have done 'Five-Items-Only' nights out.
I took a machete, a billy can, a sleeping bag, firesteel, and paracord.
To be honest I slept just as comfortably. More work involved, mind you.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
My only question would be why, I know I could do it if the need arose but choosing to do it, uh uh not for me not really my idea of learning or fun, but hey that's just me. Each to their own. It also occurs to me, if you are taking knife, firesteel, water bottle then why not take the rest and enjoy it without the hardship.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
hmm food for thought, could i survive out one night properly with just my knife and firelighting kit?
at this point i doubt it, i'm not skilled enough methinks... although after a bit of practice perhaps.

Depends on the temperature and how wet it is, really. If the temps are over 10 C or so all you will be is miserable for one night (at worst). Once the temp/wetness gets worse you do have to avoid hypothermia, but again, for one night you can just ignore the night and walk around (just don't get into your car and drive home afterwards).

If you can start a fire and add some insulation underneath you many things are possible, and with a shelter life can be good.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
As Sniper said, if you are taking fire steel, knife etc why not take all your kit and have a comfortable night?

That is a valid point, for my part my back is old and my journeys are long so the less I have to carry the happier I am, my nights are usually comfortable.

I think I'd encourage people to at least carry a tarp though, if everyone starts chopping up their local copse to make natural shelters then the UK woodland and wildlife will suffer. :)

Jan 22, 2006
uk
putting pressure onyourself to get a fire started (and kept going all night) with a bow drill is great. Its not like it has to be life or death in the UK in summer, generally it would mean a walk back to the vehicle at worst.

But it gets your priorities sorted fairly quickly. I like to get the woodpile sorted, then fire started a good few hrs before dark and worry about food the next day.

Admitedly I've had water, a knife and a bootlace to get make a bow drill with me, but it makes the fire all the more enjoyable somehow. Its more about 'tuning in' to me I guess. Not having matches etc with you means its either make the effort to bow drill or live without.

Both ways are good (as long as the weathers ok), if I'm on my own I'm as likely not too bother - purely because I want to see more wildlife.

....having said that i use a lighter 90% of the time!

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE