extreme kitty

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
anyone who cant see that is a domestic cat should not be allowed access to the internet.
Big Cat My A**@ this sort of thing does no favours to any ( more probale ) evidence, still bet he is chuffed got his name in the paper. Keep the faith

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
anyone who cant see that is a domestic cat should not be allowed access to the internet.
Big Cat My A**@ this sort of thing does no favours to any ( more probale ) evidence, still bet he is chuffed got his name in the paper. Keep the faith

Looks too big for a moggy to me, judging by the railway tracks and sleepers. Nose to tail, it looks almost as long as the tracks are wide. The track gauge is 4' 8.5".

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
That's awfully small for a big cat - either they have no idea what "panther sized" is or they are extremely poor at judging size over distances...

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Depends what you mean by a "panther"... It's small for a jaguar, but seems about right for a black leopard.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Depends what you mean by a "panther"... It's small for a jaguar, but seems about right for a black leopard.

For a youngster, perhaps, but even though leopards are the smallest of the panthera genus, 6ft including tail would make for a small adult leopard, and using the rails as a reference, the one in the video looks to be no more than 5ft. I would tend to think of "panther sized" as at least 7ft including tail.

Pete

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I believe the black leopards tend to be smaller than the regular ones... But as you say, it could be a juvenile. I suppose there's also the question of how large a leopard would get on a British diet.

Two things I am pretty sure of though - it's honking massive for a domestic moggy, and it's not a dog.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
It's a bl**din' pussycat!

Using the railway line "width" as a guide for size is at best "rough".........

One can not tel from the footage at what angle one is viewing the lines, and the more acute the angle the greater the foreshortening effect, nor can one determine the camber (were on a bend here) which would add to the effect......

Look at it's motion and proportions........it's a moggy!

Did you notice that the report did not include a statement from a zoologist or the like? That would have just spoilt the story!

Smoggy.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
gregorach - quite possible mate, I'm not too sure about black leopards myself.

smoggy - also possible. I just measured my Norwegian Forest Cat and from nose to tail he's about 40", and he's still got a couple years before he stops growing. Maine Coons can get even bigger than NFCs... wasn't easy measuring him, either, he loves playing with a tape measure! No wonder they usually give size in kilos.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE