EXtreme cold weather clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KedWood

Jan 26, 2012
Forest Of Dean
I am after clothing, boots gloves for potentially -40c. any one got experience of these temps and kit suggestions? anything will help.

Thanks

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Check out the thread on the forthcoming Arctic trip which contains lots of info on clothes for extreme cold. Sorry, can't do a link but if you search "Arctic" it should come up.

udamiano

On a new journey
can you give us some idea on how much you willing to spend. I've been to the high arctic a number of times, but the kit I use is not on the cheap side. But to really honest if your going to be in those temperatures for any length of time then invest. Look at man made material as opposed to synthetics, heavier yes, but much much warmer, and a lot more hardwearing.

I use (not affiliated)

Mainly PHD and Canada Goose

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/

http://www.canada-goose.com/

Jacket: Canada Goose Resolute Parker in Red or Snow Mantra in Red

mid-layers are good old fashion heavy wool jumpers, and merino

Base layers

are merino, long sleeved 200 rated

Boots

Salomon Arctic boots (plastic types) with the walk adjusters

Or Good heavy leather Arctic boots (must have removable liners, and thick insoles, pref felt as this rubs less IMO), take spare liners and laces (3 pairs)

Gloves : I used Hesta outer Mitts with 800 loft liners, and those thermal gloves that night stockist use in Supermarket freezer isles.

Socks -Good thick wool, and plenty of them.

Trousers - Phd Omega down with Gortex outers

Head Gear.

Ufronti merino Balaclava, merino beni ,and a Canada Goose aviators fur lined hat.

goggles: Oakley thermals with rip of lens protectors.

I think I've got it all, sorry but none of this is cheap, and I've built this up over a few years so the cost was spread over time

Hope this helps

D

Just as a side note:

you don't have to spend the kind of money listed above, but invest wisely. The woolly jumpers can be the type found in fishing shops, the trousers can be good quality guilted ski types with additional layers added.

THe bits I wouldn't compromise on are

Boots, Gloves, Jacket, hat.

Last edited:

udamiano

On a new journey
+1 for the snow mantra. Used this in Northern Canada at -53 and was toasty !!!

best Jacket i've ever bought. My next door neighbours Mum brought it over from Canada for me. She wore it on the plane, as it wouldn't fit in her suitcase.. It was June :Wow:

I made it up to her with a nice posh dinner at a good restaurant :cool: but it did save me a fortune doing it that way

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I went to Finland in this:

attachment.php

north face Woolen hat
Icebreaker 280 thermal top and bottoms
Mountain hardware fleece
Mountain hardware triclimate jacket (awesome because the entire side from nearly elbow to waist opened to vent)
North Face ski pants (awesome because they vented the entire crotch and inside thigh)
100% man made boxer shorts
Woolpower socks thin contact layer + insulating layer
mountain hardware gaiters
Sorel caribou boots + spare liners
unbranded Silk inner gloves
unbranded woolen outer gloves with leather palms

Most of the time I had the jacket in my pack as it was too warm... One of our party did have a snow mantra jacket which was only useful when we were ice fishing, the rest of the time it was too hot and too bulky. Awesome jacket though if you're surveying ice fields in antarctica or ultra low temperatures are expected.

I slept in a £20 95 pattern sleeping bag (I think it's the 95 with the mesh pockets inside).

The whole lot kept me toasty and non-stinky for a week in this:

attachment.php

(+8C was in a grill kota and was LOVELY!) mid day temp was around -16C and night temp -32C

My girlfriend Eloise had a McMurdo North Face parka and was also too hot in it for 90% of the time. She slept in a buffalo superbag with 4S liner and Rab event bivvy bag and was also toasty which is good considering she sleeps cold.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A pile and pertex layer wouldn't go amiss too, something like a Buffalo or Montane

Warm when wet but much faster drying than wool

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I am after clothing, boots gloves for potentially -40c. any one got experience of these temps and kit suggestions? anything will help.

Thanks

Whats your activity level going to be and are you going to be sleeping out or indoors?? Also where are you going and at what elevation.

if you are going to be fairly static say whale watching in Antarctica then you'll need more insulation than if your going to be highly active and generating a lot of heat say a biathlon in northern Sweden...

Likewise kit for -40 at 1000m is a bit different to kit for -40 at 6000m....

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For boots at -40 C I'd pick either Stegers, True North boots or handmade sami fur boots (maybe the Canadian army mukluk should be there as well, and naturally Inuit mukluks). In all cases they have -- or should have -- felt liners and at least two pairs of socks, preferably three. Please note that most ski bindings will not work well with any of those (the Sami one will work best, the Berwin should work with all three). I would not pick a heavy or stiff boot, but one that maintained flexibility: if your foot can move it will stay warmer.

I have just come back from two weeks in Siberia, go and speak to the guys at Koolbox - They import Baffin and Sorel Boots, most of which are rated to -40to -100. Caspar at Nordic Outdoors deals in Nanok, Klattermussen and Acclima which we used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE