Extra long sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Def /\ mummy bags are the best for warmth, but can also be restrictive, esp for us taller ppl, some allow enough movement though, as long as i can sleep on my side and bend my legs, i'm usually happy

Supposedly we all have the same body temperature: 98.6f or 37c as an average plus or minus less than 1 degree for a healthy person. However we all vary at least slightly and we definitely have different circulation (which regulates that temperature) But as you said, we can only begin with a standard system and adapt it to our own needs. The EN system sounds like a reasonable starting point.

Even a 0.2C difference is significant when we're talking about core temps, there are differences between men/women/old/young, aswell as individuals, and even day to day, many peoples core temp falls slightly when sleeping too; the difference in tolerance of external temps makes things even more complicated.

This is one reason i like layers, you can add/remove to get more comfortable (not much use at extremes of course)

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Indeed, everyone is different, which is why i added the part where you can adjust for yourself. You will have to do some testing ;).

If all that fails I'm going for Brambles suggestion and getting the Carinthia bags - the defence 4 looks brilliant AND it has a centeral zip - perfect for me as i move around a lot and like sleeping and sleep on my side.

The 4 is great, but i find it much too warm, it's a -15C comfort bag :). For reference, i've taken the tropen (5C comfort), in a bivy, with a good insulated mat and wearing Icebreaker merino baselayers (200), down to 1-2C while still being warm. I'm pretty sure i can take it to 0C while being just comfortable enough to sleep in that setup.

deej517

Nov 20, 2010
South Lanarkshire
I bought a sleeping bag from Taunton Leisure nearly 30 years ago, asked for extra length, width and footbox sizing, still use this bag now. Worked well at Kinlochrannoch in the 80's at -22 with just a cotton liner. Just checked their website and they don't appear to manufacture their own line anymore.

Last edited:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Probably not tech., light or compact enough for those here, but at 6' 4" the Surplus M90/95/Arctic whatever bag in LONG size gives me plenty of length. And warmth. Centre zip.
Ridiculously cheap compared to more modern light/compact bags. £20-£35?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Probably not tech., light or compact enough for those here, but at 6' 4" the Surplus M90/95/Arctic whatever bag in LONG size gives me plenty of length. And warmth. Centre zip.
Ridiculously cheap compared to more modern light/compact bags. £20-£35?

I agree with this completely, I'm a very average 5'10" and had a good foot of additional length in the Long version of the British army bag. It kept me warm in -32C too - not bad for £20 invested. The only downsides are the bulk and weight. The British army bouncing bomb is well worth a look.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...558153?hash=item3d2db0ac09:g:0OsAAOSw34FVEDQX

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE