External pouches for rucksacks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 9, 2005
Hi All,

I have a most excellent Osprey Aether 60L pack which has seen me through many miles. I would, however, like to increase its capacity by adding a PLCE-style pouch to the exterior, probably using the pack's compression straps to hold it all on the pack.

I had something like this in mind: nice pair but pricey, if you get my drift. Has anyone done a similar thing with their pack, and if so can they please provide any pointers or recommendations of the best pouch to use?

Thanks

T

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi TtTE,

Those pouches are quite small, useful for some bits and pieces but anything bigger than three field dressings packed together and you can forget it, what were you hoping to put in to these pouches?

LS

Aug 9, 2005
Thanks for getting back to me, LS. It's a good question & I'm glad you asked it.

The answer is, in a word, "stuff'. Generally less heavy but more bulky items of kit which I don't want to have to rummage around for, such as waterproofs, snacks - prob my Hex 3 shelter too I guess.

From that POV you're absolutely right - I'd maybe be able to fit some oaties, a band-aid and my GPS in these 'trauma pouches' - not really of much use to man or beast.

I saw some excellent-looking add-on pouches from Gregory, but I'm buggered of i'm paying $60 plus shipping for the privilege.

Perhaps HM forces surplus could come to the rescue?

Surveyor

Sep 28, 2005
London
For Tarp and Waterproofs, you could try a poncho roll. Either the surplus '58 pattern, or the Wyvern Vanguard one.

Jed

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
IMHO you would be better off getting a grade 1 surplus PLCE bergen. 120 ltr with two external pouches that you can drop off if you dont need them and a seriously good rig for not much money.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE