Extended Giant Seat Meet In September

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to Bushcraft, but by no means a complete novice. Would there be any issue with me attending this meet, probably from the Thursday or Friday, to the Sunday? It would be great, especially since I know nowhere near me, Fallowfield, that I can practice in.

Thanks,

Matt

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
Hi,

Enjoyed the BushMoot this year and looking forward to meeting more bushcraft peeps & advancing my knowledge / skills.

Paul Ross - entire meet - map & compass - First Aid - Archery - Wild food forage - Tracking

I'll probably be cycling from Chorlton, but if there is a lift share or people want to cycle together - Great!

Also is it possible to invite non-BCUK members but have an interest in Bushcraft?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys absolutely fine to come along no matter what level of knowledge you have. Guests are also welcome although the member that brings them is responsible for them, If their behavior is unacceptable they will be asked to leave as may you dependent on what they have done and if you could have prevented it. They also need to play an active role, so if they expect to be warmed by the fire they have to help gather the wood etc.

Dave

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info regarding inviting guests.

Those are the subjects i would like to cover, but i appreciate it depends on available teachers.

I am able to teach Friction fire making - specifically Bow Drill method.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Right, wonderful that i can come. Might as well make a proper reply then!

Phaestos - am able to teach: safe knife work and parkour (if anyone wants it)
Wants to learn: everything

Also, what is the best way of getting there from fallowfield, or Piccadilly?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
That would be fab if you dont mind matey

The majority of the folks will undoubtedly turn up on the Friday and stay over the weekend, so if we put the skill shares down for the Saturday i think that would be perfect.

Friction Fire lighting is always a boon and i think everyone will enjoy having a go!

Let me know if there is anything i can do to help out

Dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
That would be great Gary, if you would be able to do a 30 min - 1 hour workshop on any subject you fancy tat would be brilliant. PM me if you fancy it and let me know what kind of thing you fancy doing.

And Carl happy birthday for that weekend mate if you manage to get down great but don't kill yourself buddy lol

Dave

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Right, I'm coming. It's settled!

Hopefully I can put forward some good insights based on what I know, and would be more than happy to give some instruction on paracord uses, including constructing bracelets, and knots.

Does anyone have any tips on getting there from Piccadilly, or fallowfield, and what do people suggest for food, taking into account that I'm a vegetarian?

Cheers

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Does anyone have any tips on getting there from Piccadilly, or fallowfield, and what do people suggest for food, taking into account that I'm a vegetarian?

You can get a train from Piccadilly to Kearsley, then down the steps & under the bridge to the bus stop and a bus to the White House at the end of the lane to the site.

Alternatively you can get the tram to Whitefield and take the bus the opposite way to the White House.

AFAIK the Kearsley - Whitefield bus doesn't run Sundays.

Here's a couple of useful links ...

http://www.traveline-northwest.co.uk/journeyplanner/enterJourneyPlan.do?hss=YJoSV50636305

http://www.northernrail.org/

If you use the journey planners, use the postcode M26 1DZ, and the location Greenside Farm, Ringley Road West, which is the nearest bus stop to the site track.

GiantsSeatWTP.jpg

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
what do people suggest for food, taking into account that I'm a vegetarian?

Cheers

Vegetables.......(sorry couldn't resist)

Depends how long you're coming for, if its only the weekend you can afford to eat as you like. If coming for the entire meet then you will more than likely want to think more carfully due to the weight issue. There is an asda about 10 mins drive away not sure how that translates to walking though.

I will be taking mostly dried and tinned food such as past/rice and tinned veg and meat, i will also be taking a speckling of fresh food i.e. some fruit, veg and some meat like bacon etc

Dave

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It's not as though Giant's Seat is the trackless wilderness. There's a convenience store or two in Kearsley (abt 2') , there may be one closer, and there's supermarkets in Farnworth (abt 3').

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Hi there, I'd really like to come to this meet if you'll have me. I had a great time at the moot (my first one) and would like to practice my campcraft and bushcraft skills some more.

I do a fair bit of camping but I've ended up going fairly heavyweight (eg. van full of milsurp gear), I've been inspired to downsize and hope to rely mostly just on what I can carry.

I'd be happy to do a veggie curry if we're doing group cooking. If anyone is bring a potje I'd quite like to have a go at baking bread.

I do have a some newbie questions about the camp shall I just PM Dave ?

Cheers, Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE