Explaining bushcraft to others

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Having read this section of the forum it seems to me that a lot of you fellas are either having trouble with getting other halfs involved in bushcraft, getting excuses for doing bushcraft or attracting a suitable mate who is into bushcraft (a 'bushcraft babe'??), so I think it would be a good idea to brainstorm some ways to put a different 'spin' on the whole thing so that the ladies would appreciate it better.

The phrase bushcraft in itself probably doesn't mean much to ladies so it is probably the best place to start. It seems to me that we can largely thank the esteemed Mr Mears** :notworthy for popularizing the phrase so perhaps it might be a better idea to try emphasizing some of the other aspects as well such as:

• - long walks in the woods
    - spending time admiring nature
    - keeping alive ancient traditions to protect and preserve woodlands
    - practicing skills which could help protect you and yours in a crisis
    - getting exercise and fresh air

** Mr Mears is very popular with most ladies I've talked to about it, so if you tell them that you're into the 'Ray Mears type stuff' and they'll almost certainly know what you mean and will probably swoon! :wink:

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Extreme Picnicing is one that I have used to help make it sound a little more fun for my wife. .

All do as she pointed out it was her that bought me my first Ray Mears book and with her enthusism for nature she as inspired me more. Before this I stumble along with what knowlodge the scouts could teach me and what I tought was important.

My approach changed to along Kathie's idea since and it's worked. She now has a pair of boots (All do Pink) and for our second aniversary she asked for rucksack and suprised me with a long weekend break in the Wicklow mountains. In a hotel but she has told me to pay may rucksack not the suit case.

I am now in tears. :oops:

James

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
jamesdevine said:
Extreme Picnicing

:rolmao: Sounds like something you'd see on the Discovery channel - bungee jumping complete with a wicker basket!! Or perhaps strawberries and cream while abseiling! Still, could be fun ... ! :wink:

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
"is that wher we meet up have a picnic and eat dates"

No, its where we discuss the history of extreme picnicing using Carbon 14 analysis. ;-)

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
ditchfield said:
"is that wher we meet up have a picnic and eat dates"

No, its where we discuss the history of extreme picnicing using Carbon 14 analysis. ;-)
:rolmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE