Experience carving a Welsh Love spoon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. Its my 24th wedding anniversary soon and I have had the idea of carving a Welsh love spoon for my wife. (Yes she is Welsh) so it wound be even more special if I can achieve this. Has anyone experience doing this and have you any tips to help out!

Many thanks.
John.

PS. November the 4th is the big day.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Im in the process of doing my first at the moment and having been playing at carving it off and on for about a week i would suggest the following -
Make sure the front and back of your faces of your timber are as flat (and even) as you can get them, it will make drawing the design easier and the carving simpler.
I used some greaseproof paper and SWMBO's eyeliner pencil (though she doesnt know it ;) ) to draw out my pattern then used it as a transfer which made life a lot easier.
Take your time carving out the rough outline and bowl first then do the bits in the middle.
I was advised to use sandpaper once everything is roughed out so you dont end up accidentally removing a chunk and ruining the whole thing (not quite at that stage yet).
Depending on your carving experience dont go overboard with intricate designs, i think the heart at the top of mine is likely to become an tear/oval as i though i could carve it finer than i actually can :rolleyes:

No doubt some of the "older", wiser and more experienced carvers here abouts will have more to add but thats what i have found with my recent attempts.

Cheers, Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
This is where I currently am with it

1f57ec2b-6564-53c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
My biggest bit of advice would be to take your time. I have ruined a couple because I wasn't taking enough care, its quite sickening to be nearly finished and have it ruined.

nice spoon HH.

good luck

ATB

Craig

Last edited:

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Thanks all. Ive been house bound for the past few weeks and Ive a few more before Ill be able to get out. I usually get my Bushcraft mag when Im pottering in town but havent been able to. It was while I was thinking I should make her something special that the spoon came to mind so I didnt know about the artical (coincidence!?). Ill have to get someone to get me a copy without my beloved knowing!
Hamster, thats coming on well! Ill be impressed if my attempt looks that good at that stage. Please keep us updated with your progress!
Anyway Im going to have a root around and see what wood I have in the shed.

SpoonLady

Aug 3, 2012
USA
www.jenkinslovespoons.com
I think that's a great idea. I have a bit of experience with lovespoons, so I'll offer a few thoughts. Not sure how much carving experience you have, so I apologize if any of these are too remedial. For wood, I'd suggest lime or sycamore. Lime is the easiest, but also softest. The harder the wood, the slower you have to carve, but it is also stronger, so you may be less likely to break it. Lovespoons are usually sanded to rather a fine grit - most lovespoon carvers I've talked with go at least to 800. Also, most people I know finish with oil and wax, or perhaps just wax. Some finish with lacquer, but the oil & wax seems to give a warmer, satiny finish, and brings out the wood grain a bit more. I've actually simply used a soft pencil on the back of a pattern then went over it against the wood to transfer it onto the wood before. It may have been a little light, but then I just went over it again directly on the wood with the pencil.

All good advice has been given so far - don't rush it, and keeping it simple is probably a good plan. You can probably do a lot of things with a straight knife, if that's what you had in mind, but you'll probably want some sort of bent knife or at least a gouge to hollow out the bowl. Oh, and keep your edges extremely sharp. You should never need too much pressure - dull tools take more energy, split wood more, and cause accidents. You may have some trouble making the deepest part of the bowl smooth - so just try not to split it, and then sand it smooth. Also, when scooping out the bowl, you'll want to carve either parallel or perpendicular to the grain. And, when you can't do that, to help avoid splitting, carve so that the grain goes from shortest to longest underneath your cut. (in other words, there is a longer grain supporting behind the fiber/grain that you are cutting).

Also, if you do any knotwork, it's generally considered important to make the over/under pattern always alternate. It's up to you whether you completely have them alternate, or just suggest the over/under with a shallower cut. Also up to you whether to carve the back, as well. Personally, I think it's nice to carve both sides. I even hide extra details on the back sometimes.

I think, probably more importantly than any of this, though - whatever symbols you use, make it personal. Like, use her favorite flower, or something else important to her. Lovespoons are so full of heart and sentiment, that personal touch pervades everything else about them. Good luck, be careful, and have fun with it!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I carve love spoons and i live in wales, most craftsman would have used a fret saw by now to do the holes. Most commercial makers would of used an electric fret saw by now. Cad cams are aslo used.

You are carving a proper one, as it is done with love.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi everyone. This is an update. I havent forgotten you honest! I started the spoon and Im about halfway through, but Ive then had to have three operations. one of which is on my left arm (which became infected) so Ive been unable to get on any further. (yep it was a good idea to start early ).
Anyway, the antibiotics have done the job and I hope to restart next week. Still plenty of time to our anniversary!
Thanks again to all who have posted, and thanks spoonlady for your helpful post. Much appreciated.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
Hi, i find carving love spoons a really relaxing pass time. I've done two and i'm on my third. The first was a valentines gift for my good lady wife. I've used fallen branches so far which seem to be ok (not split etc) i'll post some photos at some point.

Good luck with your arm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE