Exped downmat/synmat users - a question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
I really really want one of these but just can't make my mind up on what size to get.

Is anyone using the standard width mats and how do find them?

I've been using a long wide airmat and in comparison a standard width mat ( a thermarest) felt horribly narrow.

I'm leaning towards getting the LW(DLX) version but haven't seen one in the flesh, has anyone got a photo of theirs in its stuffsack?

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
DLX downmat in stuff sack

IMGP1185.JPG

its slightly larger than a thermarest prolite regular when packed .. and i do mean slightly ,, I can take a photo for you now if you want

In two man tent with a thermarest

IMGP1190.JPG

Andy

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
If you are getting one I would recommend the 7cm dlx. The standard is too narrow. I sent it back for exchange and I am only 5'8.

I can't fault the 7DLX in any way, shape or form. I'm 6'2" and 16st and it suits me in the hammock or on the ground. It's a little bulky when compared to other mats, but you can get away with a lighter sleeping bag because the Downmat is a superb insulator.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have the regular size down mat. I am 6-2 and 15st and I find it just about fine BUT I am a side sleeper. If I were a back sleeper it would be too narrow. As it is I appreciate the smaller size and weight in my pack as I have other fatboy mats for when space is no issue.

I also find it fits inside a bivvi bag more easily, being a little smaller.

The downmat is fabulously warm and comfortable and easily adds a season to your bag rating.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm only 5'2" and I've got the DLX one. It's wide enough to be comfortable to roll over or sleep on my back, without chills, but it's way too long.
If there was one as thick and wide but maybe 20 or 25 cms shorter it would be ideal for me.
At this length it's a tightish fit in some tents too.

It's a very, very good piece of kit, worth it's weight in my pack :)

Put it this way, if it died tomorrow, I'd buy another one :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Thanks all, I reckon the wider mat is the way to go, I do wish they would offer them in the regular length though

AndyE - what tent is that by the way?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE