Exped down mat.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
My trusty 10 yr old thermarest has just given up the ghost!! I have tried to repair it to no avail.

So I am wondering what the Exped down mats are like does anyone have one and if so how have you found them in terms of:-

Durability

Warmth

Packed Size

Pumping up (internal valve or lung power)

Slipperyness.

All info will be gratefully digested!!!

cheers

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've only seen one once in use Andy and it spent most of the weekend getting re-inflated due to an un-findable puncture.

From Exped they should be a good bit of kit, albeit a tad on the expensive side for me.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Yeh I know what you mean but then when I bought me thermarest years back that seemed pricey then. Its served me well and has seen lots of diffrent places I just want to replace it with something equally as good.

Andy

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Can't vouch for the durability, 'cause I've only had mine for a year, but it's not showing any signs of wear or tear so far.
For warmth, it's definitely an upgrade on the thermarests. And that includes a comparison with the thicker thermarests. In fact, the down exped is the warmest mat I've tried so far.
Packed size is bigger that the thin thermarests (but not the standard ones), but hey - that's the price you pay for the greater comfort. That and the heavier weight.
Pumping up - I always use the pack sack for that. That's what it's for, and it works great.
You'll stay nicely on top of your exped, no slippy off in the night.

As for down sides (no pun intended), it takes a bit longer to inflate than the thermarests. Bit not so long that I ever got annoyed with it.
I've read reviews stating problems with closing the valves in really cold weather, allowing the air to slowly disappear over a few hours. I've personally never had that problem.

All in all, I find it a pricey, but fantastic piece of kit.
Definitely recommended!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got one of the new ones with the built in pump...........and it's mine, all mine :D
It's a brilliant bit of kit, a wide enough to roll over, warm enough underneath to make a difference, really comfortable, mat.
If I lost it tomorrow, I'd buy another :approve:
No idea how long it'll last, since I only got it at Christmas as a present, but I've used it five or six different meet ups so far.

cheers,
Toddy

Gailainne

Life Member
I've only seen one once in use Andy and it spent most of the weekend getting re-inflated due to an un-findable puncture.

From Exped they should be a good bit of kit, albeit a tad on the expensive side for me.

:eek: That was mine at Loch Lomond, still have'nt found the leak, when it worked and stay inflated they are brill, I sold a 3/4 and full length thermarest after I got this, because I knew I would never use them again.

Durability; Hmm year plus, but I've used mine on the ground, bivi and tent plus in various hammocks. Mine is the older version, using the bag to inflate it. They come with a repair kit BTW unlike Thermarest.

Warmth; Very

Packed Size; As good as a thermarest, the 90mm is bigger in Dia, but the packed length seems the same.

Pumping up (internal valve or lung power); Cant use lungs because of the down, new ones have a built in pump

Slipperyness., They have 2 sides, ones specifically for the sleeping bag to stop it slipping around, seems to work, I switch it around in the hammock.

Price; expensive £100-125 tamarack have a sale on atm so you'll get a 90mm for £100.

Stephen

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
what other people have said - I honestly could not be happier with mine (ive got a 7 short), in fact they pack up so nice and small and are so comfy I am even considering a full length one (maybe even a dlx extra wide one for my large belly) for pure luxury comfort goodness :)

buy one, use it all year and you will be the smuggest bug on the floor :)

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
I've got the older version of the 9 with the external bag/pump. A superb bit of kit which really makes a difference for a good nights sleep both in terms of thermal comfort and comfy comfort (if you know what I mean). as others have said - I'd buy another if I lost mine.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
*snip*...still have'nt found the leak... *snip*

Have you checked the valves.
They're sometimes giving the impression they're closed, when in fact they still need that extra twitch to make them close properly. Gives that leaky, "hole-in-the-mat" sensation if it happens, and you can spend forever looking for the hole, because there isn't any... :rolleyes:

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
That sounds like a resounding thumbs up even with the leaks taken into consideration.
Think I will give one a whirl. Thanks for the info guys.

Andy

Drongo

Aug 19, 2008
Lisburn
Have you considered trying the Thermarest lifetime warranty...?

Worth a go, they replaced mine when I couldn't locate where it was leaking from...

Gailainne

Life Member
Have you checked the valves.
They're sometimes giving the impression they're closed, when in fact they still need that extra twitch to make them close properly. Gives that leaky, "hole-in-the-mat" sensation if it happens, and you can spend forever looking for the hole, because there isn't any... :rolleyes:

Yeah

Its going in a bath of soapy water this weekend :rolleyes: I'll either find the leak or drown the thing :lmao:

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
can i chip in that in terms of mats, i swear by alpkit airic. i have 3, two wee's (one for the wife) and a regular. i'd recommend the wee for hiking. - their fantastic, and silly cheap compared to thermarest. Obviously, its not *as* warm as a exped down mat, but i use a cheap foam roll mat and the airic under the groundsheet of my tent and get a really really good nights sleep, which has been a problem upto now as i have back trouble from an old injury.

for £17 you might as well try it, i wouldnt consider spending 90-100 on an exped now, or even 60-70 on a thermarest, which my father owns.

sorry for the thread hijack :)

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
No worries sirex the extra feedback is welcome. I have looked at the alpkit and i think their gear is fab value. It was more the warmth isues I was thinking about as I was going to try and save some weight on the bag front.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE