Exmoor Bimble

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
last week I was lucky enough to get down to my home stamping ground again for a day-out bimble. I was drug up on Exmoor :).

Webber's Post 2013 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

We set off from Webber's Post and headed down to Cloutsham to walk along the Horner Water.

Horner 2013 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

The rain kept off and the autumn colours were wonderful. Along the way we passed a natural totem pole. It's been there a while now and every year it's different as different fungi grow on it.

Horner totem 0 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

We found some amazing fungi growing on other logs too. I know practically nothing of fungi so would be grateful if them as do could identify :D

This one is very weird !!!

Horner funig 1 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

This one is soooo pretty !!!

Horner fungi 2 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

This waterfall is always gorgeous, even when it's very dry in the summer it still has a bit of a flow. Going well today :)

Horner Water 0 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

And here's a longer view of it ...

Horner Water 1 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

We were hunting for some ancient alders from the Ancient Tree Forum and here they are, down near the packhorse bridge end of the valley ...

Horner alder 2013-2 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

Horner Water 1 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

Horner alder 2013-3 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

I got a bit of a shock when I arrived on the Moor though ... went to my favourite spot in the whole wide world - Tarr Steps - to find the recent storms had taken a bite out of the clapper bridge !!!

Tarr broken 1 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

Tarr broken 2 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

Tarr broken 3 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

Tarr broken 5 by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

When the Lymouth flood happened, way back when, it took a lot of the bridge down then so when they put it back they numbered all the stones, it shouldn't be too hard to put this one span back now. My friends tell me it happened last winter too ... It's very weird to me not to be able to cross over :yikes:

Gotta get back ... gotta get back ... that land feeds me soooo well :)

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Lovely photos Elen! Having Dartmoor just up the road we don't tend to get up to Exmoor all that often, but we did camp near Porlock a few years ago and walked up Horner Water from the campsite - a really fantastic valley.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
Lovely photos Elen! Having Dartmoor just up the road we don't tend to get up to Exmoor all that often, but we did camp near Porlock a few years ago and walked up Horner Water from the campsite - a really fantastic valley.

that sounds like burrowhays farm

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
that sounds like burrowhays farm

I think it was, yes - there's a gate out the back of the campsite which lets you straight into the woodland above Horner Water. Also if you're camped up the top of the site you get great views across to Selworthy Beacon.

Hagrid

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2013
North Devon
yes, nice area, i'm based a few miles away, about 10 miles north of. Dartmoor, don't get up to Exmoor much but I am sometimes to be found in South Molton("Johnny Kingdom territory")

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE