Excellent page on primitive fire starting...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SiriusB

Sep 19, 2006
Manchester, UK
...and a few modern ones too :)

As I mentioned in my introductory thread my interest in bushcraft was sparked by reading a website with lots of fire starting methods from bow drills to fire pistons. There is even a fire by ice and fire by chocolate methods :D

I have noticed in the last couple of days lots of people asking for help with their own techniques and I reckon would benefit from reading through this website. I have yet to try any of the ideas/advice since I don't have easy access to wood.

The bowdrill section is especially interesting as the author shows you what the powder should look like and the best technique... and to really rub it in he shows you making fire with a fence post... :eek:

Now then, the link you have all been waiting for: http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/index.html

SiriusB

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I was interested to see the hand drill with the addition of a bearing block held in the mouth. I had tried this a couple of times briefly in the past but didn't like the vibration I got through my head! I might try again and see if I can get it to work.

As for the vibrations, I think you would probably get used to them after a while. As a saxaphonist, I can remeber that in the first month (ish) that you are learning to play, the vibrations are very annoying as they rattle trough your teeth. However, as time goes on, they decrease in annoyingness then disappear.

In short, stick at it! :)

woodwalker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE