Evernew Ti stove, trivet and USGI canteen set...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks mate, that's useful. :)

I get the translucent nalgene bottle at 134g empty on my postal scales. So....

USGI cup + stand + nalgene = 419g
Crusader cup + cooker + pat '58 bottle = 664g

Difference = 245g, or more than half a pound.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Just a little tip for lighting esbit with a firesteel - if you scrape up a powder on top of the cube with a knife, stone or whatever, you can light the powder with a firesteel. Not the best option as the powder is delicate and can blow away or be knocked off easily but if you don't have anything else then it is well worth knowing. Give it a try :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just a little tip for lighting esbit with a firesteel - if you scrape up a powder on top of the cube with a knife, stone or whatever, you can light the powder with a firesteel. Not the best option as the powder is delicate and can blow away or be knocked off easily but if you don't have anything else then it is well worth knowing. Give it a try :)

Good tip, thanks. I just gave it a go and yep, it does work. Bit fiddly though, I think so long as I have quick fire tinders with me, I'll use one of those as they just jump into flame, but a great tip to have in your hat in a pinch. :)

I did a boil test....

evernew019.jpg

evernew020.jpg

it took 11;30 seconds to bring 350mls to the boil using 2x esbit tabs and then continued to burn for 19 minutes in total. It was quite blustery though and I suspect it would've been a bit quicker with an additional windshield. That said, the test was to use what I had in the kit and nothing else and it worked fine. :)

I tried cooking super noodles with it using just one tab and it wasn't enough, I had to add bits of another tab. Thinking back, when I tried it before I used hexamine, not esbit and they are quite a bit bigger tabs. I could have added some small sticks I suppose, to make the most of one tab, but that defeats the object. I think I'll factor on 2x esbit blocks per boil to be belt and braces.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Be interested to know what you think, if you dont like it, you can sell it on to me as I'm after a second set to keep in the landy. :)

Hehehehe, I ordered two of everything. Thought it would be cheaper that way in case I liked it loads. I've always avoided the US canteen as I had a copy a while back and it doesn't hold as much water as the Nato bottle, but I've noticed after using the Nato nearly everyday this Spring and Summer, that I never use it's full capacity anyway and I have back up water sources in the car or nearby. The Nato is bulky (fat), and that did get in the way on my belt when I was in Venez.

I also really like the Greenheat as it packs small and light. Carrying a Trangia and meths would add weight and bulk to my bag. So I reckon if I carry a lid from a military burner, that will do to hold the Greenheat and I'll have a really compact package to go in my shoulder bag.

I'll do a review out and about when it all arrives.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hehehehe, I ordered two of everything. Thought it would be cheaper that way in case I liked it loads. I've always avoided the US canteen as I had a copy a while back and it doesn't hold as much water as the Nato bottle, but I've noticed after using the Nato nearly everyday this Spring and Summer, that I never use it's full capacity anyway and I have back up water sources in the car or nearby. The Nato is bulky (fat), and that did get in the way on my belt when I was in Venez.
The size doesnt matter to me. So long as it can cook a tin full of whatever, make super noodles, brew coffee etc then I'm happy. The crusader cup is a bit bigger, but it's still a cup and has the same limitations really. The one thing I havent mentioned, but that I really like about the US kit is the shape. It just seems to sit really well on your hip - it's much nicer to handle and carry than the fat nato kit. I didnt mention it, because on the face of it there seems not much difference, but being that little bit smaller, that little bit more ergonomic, that little bit lighter and that little bit more versatile, all adds up and to me, fixes all the irritations I have with the nato kit. It's little things, like being able to just take the top off the bottle and take a swig of water without having to remove anything or even undo a clasp. The nato kit by comparison, seems so much more clumsy. Anyway, let me know what you think.

I also really like the Greenheat as it packs small and light. Carrying a Trangia and meths would add weight and bulk to my bag. So I reckon if I carry a lid from a military burner, that will do to hold the Greenheat and I'll have a really compact package to go in my shoulder bag.

I'll do a review out and about when it all arrives.
I'll give greenheat a go. The esbit thing is really just there to complete it as a self contained kit. It works well enough and the aluminium stand is a much better windshield than the crusader cooker (though in fairness is a less stable cooking platform). But I still prefer a meths cooker. It's hotter, faster and less affected by wind. The titanium stove adds so little weight, it's really just about carrying the fuel and unless you are burning wood, you have to carry the fuel for whatever cooker you use. I'll get some greenheat though, as I've discovered I need 2 esbit tabs to make super noodles, it might be more efficient to use the green gel.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I love Greenheat. Seems I'm in a very very small minority though. Works better than Esbit for me, leaves no blacking, is clean, bio-degradable, and the sachets are tiny, light and fit in any small space you have without adding bulk, like tablets. If the US windshield performs better than the Crusader version, it should make for a cracking combo.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
If the US windshield performs better than the Crusader version, it should make for a cracking combo.
It's much better, no doubt about it (did you get one of the aluminium ones, or did you opt for the canteenshop steel version?). The negative, is that it's a less stable cooking platform. You wont be able to slop it all about in the same way, but that's the only trade off that I can see.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I got the stainless steel cup from canteenshop. Could only find an ali windshield.

The aluminium stands are the old version and I've only found em on ebay. They are a different design. The steel stand from canteenshop is very heavy and also has a base. It's a more stable cooking platform than the aluminium version, but the base inhibits the flames a bit and I find it less efficient. It's also a bit less versatile because you cant jam the mug into the narrow end and use it as a stand in a fire.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The aluminium stands are the old version and I've only found em on ebay. They are a different design. The steel stand from canteenshop is very heavy and also has a base. It's a more stable cooking platform than the aluminium version, but the base inhibits the flames a bit and I find it less efficient. It's also a bit less versatile because you cant jam the mug into the narrow end and use it as a stand in a fire.

Cool, glad I got the right one.

blimy i have a US cup and cooker stand from the 80's used it up till a few years ago went went over to a crusader fits the 58 bottle better ( yes i was jamming the US cup on ) and fits UK boil in the bag Rats better

they also did a thick foil version of the cooker with the MRE's i think folded flat you had to shape and slot the ends didnt last long tho

Oh my 58 bottle with original Non drinking straw lid is 178gms

I dont like the crusader cooker as it sucks to much heat out of your fuel but i do carry Green heat sachets for quick brews 1 for a brew. 2 for a boil in the bag & brew

ATB

Duncan

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
blimy i have a US cup and cooker stand from the 80's used it up till a few years ago went went over to a crusader fits the 58 bottle better ( yes i was jamming the US cup on ) and fits UK boil in the bag Rats better

they also did a thick foil version of the cooker with the MRE's i think folded flat you had to shape and slot the ends didnt last long tho

Oh my 58 bottle with original Non drinking straw lid is 178gms

I dont like the crusader cooker as it sucks to much heat out of your fuel but i do carry Green heat sachets for quick brews 1 for a brew. 2 for a boil in the bag & brew

ATB

Duncan

The crusader system will still be my main rucksack cooker, as I can carry more water and it's better for food etc. But Martyns US system looks perfect for my shoulder bag that I carry with me while out surveying etc... Good for quick brews and the odd Wayfarer meal.

DSC09775.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE