Eventful Day Out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I went back with the family this Sunday morning to the site of the Old Fellows Bimble
and it turned out to be more eventful than the sedate nature walk with Yen and Jan. (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24317 )

All the ingredients for disaster were there – the family, rain, an artificial deadline and a minor disagreement with SWMBO
– which, unfortunately, I carried into the bush with me.
Leaving them to play in the pool below the falls, I started the walk, remembered, then dismissed, the thought that the forest spirits have a tendency to pick on troubled minds.

Went up into the green world of the upper river as shown in the other thread.
This is what it looked like then.
DSCN4723.jpg

Now it was raining heavily and I took this video of the stream

It soon became impossible to shoot video or photos without putting the camera at risk (must get a waterproof one)
and I continued up stream sure that I could turn around and get out before any rise in the stream.
This stream does not have a bad reputation like some others in the foothills

I crossed the stream and headed up and across the slope to look for potential campsites for the future and found a few possibles.
Rain can be fun in the rainforest the canopy taking the impact of the large drops and breaking them up.
Its like playing in the garden as a child but with a hundred garden hoses.

I was thinking about how good Les Stroud is in how he emphasizes the care a solo walker needs to take in doing simple things like placing your feet.
I had watched two episodes the previous night.

Deciding to turn back after 40 minutes I reached the stream which was now muddy and somewhat higher.
Since I was wearing hiking boots, not self draining jungle boots I was reluctant to get wet boots and sox.
So I decided to cross at an easier place.
This was really a silly thought as wet socks are not important where hypothermia is a low risk

Walking further down stream where I remembered better spots, I soon found that the water was higher and swifter.
Resigning myself to water in the boots, I started to cross.
What was a clear ankle-deep stream when I took the video was now waist deep before I was even halfway across.
I could have swum it but was concerned about the camera now stashed in my pack and turned back.

So I started across and up the now steep slope in series of angled up and down traverses to avoid the impassable parts of the little ‘gorge’.
The slope eventually got steeper and at 50 - 60 degrees or so in slick leaves and mud it was pretty much no go, so I had to descend to the stream again down a steep slope.

I stepped on a log with one foot and that was enough to send it sliding and falling into the river, which led to a moments pause on my part.
Fortunately I had not transferred my weight to that foot.

After slithering on, I ran out of slope. It was now 90 degrees straight down to the rocky bottom.
As I sat hanging on to the last sapling at the edge and thinking of a jump or classic abseil to the bottom, an image hit me and I had to laugh.
From starting out thinking of Les Stroud, I was now venturing into Bear Grylls territory!

The rope stayed in the pack and I traversed to a spot where I could ‘climb’ down with a complete lack of dignity or style but at least with uninjured legs

Along the side of the stream and another ascent around the corner and I was able to reach the ridge where I found the trail back to the waterfall.

The family were all packed and ready to go and I was pleased that my 8-year old (an avid bushcraft movie fan) had ‘advised’ Mum that we ought to go as the water was rising, Mum of course having realised it first but kept silent.

Walking back to the car, I saw one of the biggest centipedes I have ever seen at about 10” – 11” long.

These are nasty creatures and having been bitten by one years ago I decided to dispatch it.
The pool by the falls is used by lots of children and these centipedes can move faster than a child realises.
I would leave a snake or even scorpion alone but not these.
These are too stupid to get out of the way and are quick to bite

After taking a photo, I struck it with the parang and was amazed to see the larger half take off without the head!
This has not happened before as I use a boot or rock.
I would not step on one this big as they can easily bite your ankle while pinned down.

In this second video, the headless section has slowed down but when stimulated actually returns to the head at the very end!

I think the walking is controlled by a second ‘brain’ located in the body.

Later I realised that I had been without my mug or else I could have sat down and made a cup of tea avoiding most of the hazards except possibly of being ticked off by SWMBO for being late.
However by being foolish, I had got back on time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE