Evening bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would love to have a go at making a net, maybe with paracord
how much paracord would i need to make a small net ?
how would i go about making one
i see fenlander has made a few nets maybe he'll be along soon to answer my questions
i hope
leon

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
leon-b said:
i would love to have a go at making a net, maybe with paracord
how much paracord would i need to make a small net ?
how would i go about making one
Some of Patrick M's posts have pics of the netting needle, I found using garden twine/hemp string (the "hairy" variety) to be easier as the knots stayed put better. Also its a bit cheaper to have ago with. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ferreter/nets.htm THis site had a nice tutorial for a small net... as does this one http://www.bertaut.com/netmaking.html

good luck!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
dommyracer said:
Stuart, I've been having a go at this, just faffing around seeing if I can make a simple gill net out of a length of paracord.

Can you recommend any good books or links ./ sites and stuff that cover making proper fishing nets?

dommy
this site has all the instructions you need to get started i would recomend you use some resonablke quality cheap string instead of para cord

http://www.bertaut.com/netmaking.html

arrgggggggg beten to it i've used both the sights mentioned by jon r they are a good place to start

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
that looks rather complicated lol, please can someone please tell me an easier way of doing this
sorry to hijack your thread, it would be better to post the answer to my question on my thread 'list to learn
thanks leon

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Dougster said:
Eh? Wouldn't that be called 'Loungecraft'?

Go for a walk in the dark - borrow a dog if you have to. Then come back and enjoy that cup of tea even more.

'Loungecraft'! :lmao:

I've got a vision of some suits in an airport or hotel lounge, carving spoons, and practising bow drills.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Take , 2kg of chestnuts and roast 'em, on a shovel, over that log fire of your'n.
Take a bottle of 4 Bells, or Glenfiddich , as ripe a Cheddar as you can get and enjoy ,while waiting for the chestnuts. Think about the good year thats almost gone and how much better ther next will be.

Rest and be thankful.

Ceeg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Drink ( avery little) of last years Sloe gin, get making next years batch, suffer thru the season of good will on a medically necessary restrictive diet, entertain an elderly relative, play with stuff I got thru the Swap Shop, play with new toys, read new books, make things as the ideas come to me.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
andyn said:
Nice one Bam :D ...And while my missus sat and marked her last school books for the term this evening...i sat and made a christmas wreath:

328475498_88089fb66c_o.jpg

i know the image is a pretty bad ISO but it was taken with teh phone cam LOL

You got any tips andy I fancy giving that a go.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
It was my first attempt mate. I just used a finger thick (the little one) bit of hazel and wrapped it round, tapered the ends and tied it together. The ppine and spruce is just tied on at each end and then other bits are poked in to those bits. The holly again is just poked in and it all just held together eventually. LOL.
Just make it up as you go along mate, thats all that i did. If it goes wrong just adapt. :D

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
leon-b said:
that looks rather complicated lol, please can someone please tell me an easier way of doing this
sorry to hijack your thread, it would be better to post the answer to my question on my thread 'list to learn
thanks leon

Hi Leon,

I also fiond this complex. I made a small net hammock recently not doing the above but using a peg board.

see this - net

Ive also cheated by just tying a horizontal cord between two stools, and dropping many vertical lines. Then two at a time tie the vertical lines together to build up a net matrix.

someone could explain this better than me ! ( as per Dommy Below ! )

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
cheers for the netting links guys, gonna definitely have a pop at that.

Reason I was playing about with paracord was to see if I could fashion a quick gill net for a 'survival' type situation -

pull the inner strands out of the paracord
Use the green outer as the top line of the net (tie it between two trees or similar while contructing)
Fold the inner strands in half and attach them at regular intervals to the green line using a prussic type knot.
bring two of the strands together and tie them using a simple overhand knot to form a diamond.
Continue on doing this until its all tied up, attach some weights at the bottom, hey presto.

No idea if it would actually catch fishies though.....

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
IIRC Wayland had a net like that "in progress" at Loch Achray a while back. While I've been using a needle, I'd like to try this way too.

As a "Lounge " activity, getting some bone or antler and trying some carving or decoration in it is a pleasant time passer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE