Evening bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
anyone know of any bushcrafty things i could do in my living room in the evenings when i sit down in front of a nice log fire? I dont want anything too messy. :rolleyes:

The TV is rubbish these days and i fancy something to mess about with instead :confused:

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
What about trying your hand at leatherwork, get some rope and practice knots, reading up on plants and their uses, sharpen your knives, or start a journal of your journey into bushcraft. :)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i hope this thead turns out some good ideas because i was also wondering what to do
leon

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Make some bush string with your favourite bark, or nettles. Put a newspaper on the coffee table and sharpen your knife. :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i bought a realtree t shirt the other day, very good camoflague if you ask me
leon

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
I've found learning knots whilst watching tv a good way to pass the time if the program isn't that riveting. You'd be amazed how much time passes and it makes the process less monotonous which means you end up practising long after you might have given up before.

Add to that it's quite satisfying when you suddenly realise you're so engrossed in the film on tv that you're not even looking but still managing to tie the knots. (not so satisfying when you realise you aren't looking and managing to make a complete tangled mess that you can barely untangle :eek: )

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
What about some rough and ready basket making? I was bored this afternoon having finished work early and while my wife watched naff stuff on the telly I pruned a few small hazel whips off one of the trees in our back garden and made a hanging basket for next years Strawberries to grow in (with two dogs I daren't have them growing on the ground! lol :eek: )

Once I'd got the whips I sat on the sofa with a mug of coffee and made it....as I say it's a bit rough and ready bit I like to think of it as "functional" and "rustic" lol

Why not give it a try,

Bam. :D

SH007.jpg

SH013.jpg

Reactions: andyn

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Nice one Bam :D ...And while my missus sat and marked her last school books for the term this evening...i sat and made a christmas wreath:

328475498_88089fb66c_o.jpg

i know the image is a pretty bad ISO but it was taken with teh phone cam LOL

Reactions: bambodoggy

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Nice jobs Andy and Bam.........that'll get everyone going now working out the methods you've used and the knots..... ;)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
A big cheap tarp or an old groundsheet and the sky's the limit.
Tonight was stripping off some bark.

It may look messy but it's not really.
whistle.gif

YBOW_01.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bad knees and dark nights have given me time to fettle up some stoves that needed TLC, this one is an Optimus 111, paraffin burner. It runs well, just need to work on the pan supports and respray the tin and its off to a forum member :)

DSCF1821Small.jpg

DSCF1824Small.jpg

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Stuart said:
learn to knit nets

Stuart, I've been having a go at this, just faffing around seeing if I can make a simple gill net out of a length of paracord.

Can you recommend any good books or links ./ sites and stuff that cover making proper fishing nets?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE