Essex Sewing Machine Spares - Free

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Essex Sewing Machine (for Spare and Parts)

This is a little Essex sewing machine that I purchased from a member here, unfortunately it was damaged in transit and many months passed before I was back in the UK and opened the package.

As you can see from the pictures the cast iron frame is broken, I have contemplated trying to fix in various ways and have looked for a replacement body, neither option seems viable.

So, for any sewing machine enthusiasts/Essex owners my plan is to fully disassemble all the working parts, bag and package them and once I'm back in the UK again I'll post them to anyone who wants them.

The frame (the heavy bit) I will bin.

PM me if you want the parts.

P2030034.JPG

P2030035.JPG

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Have you tried chemical metal? It's pretty strong stuff.
I have mended outboard engines with it. I drilled out a hole to accept a bit of threaded rod, rebuilt the corner of the casting with the chemical metal round it, filed it to shape and the engine casing bolted down to the rod. It's still on there 5 years later.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I had thought about that, but I reckoned the stress on the frame would be strongest there when in use and as these machines are often found on ebay for less than £20 it didn't seem worth the effort.

It has a new home now, maybe bilmo-p5 will manage to get it back up and running. :)

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Oh ok . I did not realise the size of it from the pics. What I suggested would be more expensive .
Good luck with it Bilmo.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've had some success with 'chemical metal' type products in the past (tho' not on sewing machines) but I think it will get a good coat of looking over to begin with.
I'll keep you posted ...

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Shame. Guess would have to know someone local who could braze it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE