Essex out n about....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alanpatt

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 20, 2013
Essex
Hi all wondering if you can help....anyone know a few places /woods around Brentwood, billericay, mountnessing, and areas around to do a bit of bushcrafting? I was fortunate enough to have my uncle pass on some of his commando knowledge when I was young.... Good memories of cooking up impromptu stews, knocking up camp hammocks n shelters but being that was 20 year ago and now with kids of my own I'm keen to pass this on aswell. I've still got a couple of type d knifes that he gifted me that have sat in oily rags for all that time & I'm keen to put them back into a bit of use! What's the score with taking knives like that out to the woods these days, aswell as small cooking fires?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Al.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Hi all wondering if you can help....anyone know a few places /woods around Brentwood, billericay, mountnessing, and areas around to do a bit of bushcrafting? I was fortunate enough to have my uncle pass on some of his commando knowledge when I was young.... Good memories of cooking up impromptu stews, knocking up camp hammocks n shelters but being that was 20 year ago and now with kids of my own I'm keen to pass this on aswell. I've still got a couple of type d knifes that he gifted me that have sat in oily rags for all that time & I'm keen to put them back into a bit of use! What's the score with taking knives like that out to the woods these days, aswell as small cooking fires?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Al.

Hi there, due to the amount of stabbings of recent times, I mean in the last 50 years
carrying a knife openly has changed a lot. The only knife you can carry openly is a folder or pocket knife with blades having a cutting edge of less than 3 inches, and not
capable of being locked in the open position. With anything other than this, you are taking a risk. If wrapped up and in the bottom of your rucksack.. it will normally be OK
as it is not seen as readily accessible to draw and fight with. Once you are within the woods where you have permission to camp etc., you can get it out and wear it on your person. Provided you have a good reason for having it with you. Some people have the idea that having it in the boot, or glove compartment of their car is legal, but it is not.
as this is classed as being in your possession. I would say that in rural areas you are
likely to have problems, especially if you are also carrying a camp stove and tent.
but you cannot go into a shop or superstore with your knife if it is not a pen knife,
just like you would not expect to take it into a Disco or Dancehall. Even members of the public in rural areas may be concerned if they see you wearing a knife on your belt or
flashing it around. It is much a matter of common sense. With camp fires, it is an offence to light fires without the landowners permission, but if you are away in an isolated place, where there is little chance of a passing dog owner reporting you , I would be prepared to take a chance, as long as you keep it small or use a stove.
I hope that the above is of some help. I live in a rural area of Scotland and have never had any trouble, but up here we have one "the freedom to roam (responsibly)" and even that is being abused by some. In England and Wales your laws are much tighter in the countryside.

Alanpatt

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 20, 2013
Essex
Yeah, we used to go out in the depths of kent, you'd spend all day out and never see anyone, it was great! Like you say, common sense prevailed, as a youngster, I was always told to keep the knives in a rag or old jumper at the bottom of a bag.... The fires were no more than would heat the pot or kettle unless he'd bring a few hexy stoves! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE