Essentials to carry on board aircraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You must 'suffer' from the same habit as I do: check if they're actually underneath your seat during (or before) the pre-flight safety demo's ... :D

exactly that, i also used to sell the things so i used to check expiry & package dates as well and if it was geting close id then phone the customer, give them the aircraft tail number and tell them the jackets were nearing expiry and they should place a order soon.:)

I fly at least once a month either transatlantic or to Europe and my 'survival bag' consists of the following:
Passport; for emergency use of boarding or exiting a plane
Wallet; to buy snacks or additional clothing if main bags are lost
Phone; to let loved ones and work know that I am going to be late due to delays
Kindle; to help pass the time when bored due to delays at the airport
All of which are stored convieniently in my pockets and will always pass through security.

In the event of a crash in open water what item of equipment would really help you apart from a PLB or boat? What would you really use a knife for when floating in the sea? Self harm or eating your fellow passangers?

In the event of a crash onto land that you survive all you need for short term suvival is onboard the plane - food, water and shelter. If the plane is on fire at least you will be warm for a few hours while you plan where to get water from....

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Just to put the risk of air travel in to perspective.

Deaths per billion passenger-journeysDeaths per billion passenger-hoursDeaths per billion passenger-kilometres
Bus: 4.3Bus: 11.1Air: 0.05
Rail: 20Rail: 30Bus: 0.4
Van: 20Air: 30.8Rail: 0.6
Car: 40Water: 50Van: 1.2
Foot: 40Van: 60Water: 2.6
Water: 90Car: 130Car: 3.1
Air: 117Foot: 220Bicycle: 44.6
Bicycle: 170Bicycle: 550Foot: 54.2
Motorcycle: 1640Motorcycle: 4840Motorcycle: 108.9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_safety#Accidents_and_incidents

Sorry for relying on Wikipedia. Can only surf in work for so long!

In light of the relative safety of air travel maybe the onboard safety cards should look like this;

Aircraft safety card.jpg

:slap:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE