Escaped pet rabbit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Not mine, I hasten to add, but my sister's kids'.

Anyone in Berkshire or nearby got a non-lethal cage trap I could borrow for a couple of days?

The daft thing will only get itself offed by the local fox population if I can't get it back.

Any help much appreciated,

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
They are pretty daft so i rekon an upturned basket/box with a fig4 trap would probably do it, maybe evern a fig4 on a cotton line.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I love the thought of making a trap, however, not only do I not have the time to fine tune it at the moment, the kids are due back on Friday, but this particular rabbit is a proper Houdini of a rabbit. He escaped from the inside of a purpose built hutch inside a chicken enclosure which is surrounded by an electric fence (mesh not strand). There are no convenient or recently dug holes which he could have used to get under the fence.

Personally, I reckon he's been saving his straw, weaved it into a paraglider, climbed the chicken coop and floated his way out.

If I don't use something he can't, and when I say can't... get out of there's a zero percent chance he'd still be in the trap come morning.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Domestic rabbits are incredibly dumb when it comes to survival. He'll be very lucky if the foxes or a domestic dog doesn't get him before somebody finds him.

However there is hope. My dog, a Doberman, caught an escaped pet rabbit a few months back and amazingly gave it to me unharmed. (Often they will allow people to pick them up without having to set any traps.)

I took it home and called the RSPCA but they weren't interested in having it. I asked around the area but couldn't find the owner so we gave it to one of my kids friends.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I love the thought of making a trap, however, not only do I not have the time to fine tune it at the moment, the kids are due back on Friday, but this particular rabbit is a proper Houdini of a rabbit. He escaped from the inside of a purpose built hutch inside a chicken enclosure which is surrounded by an electric fence (mesh not strand). There are no convenient or recently dug holes which he could have used to get under the fence.

Personally, I reckon he's been saving his straw, weaved it into a paraglider, climbed the chicken coop and floated his way out.

If I don't use something he can't, and when I say can't... get out of there's a zero percent chance he'd still be in the trap come morning.

Sound like he deserves to be free in that case!

Would not take 2 secs to use an upturned washing basket and a little cottong line running to a trigger. The kids may enjoy the task ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Many years ago my sisters rabbit "Bobtail" escaped. A local comedian told the gulible kid to "made a noise like a lettice leaf" and the rabbit would return.....
So my sister rubbed 2 lettuce leaves together - and Bobtail returned!
So - it might be worth a try :D

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
I successfully recovered a houdini ginuea pig with a figure 4 holding a plastic crate with a brick on the top.

I had to replace dandilion leaves with carrot before I got it. Having not made one before I guess it took 15 minutes.

I think I got him within a couple of hours.

Have a go, nothing to lose!

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
use to keep rabbits as a kid
no matter what we did with the runs/cages they always managed to escape
but they always returned
and returned pregnent
they would have there little the babys would find it very easy to get through the wide mesh
the cats then bit off all there heads

we would make the runs even harder to escape .
the adult rabbits would eventually work out how to get out

and the cycle began again

lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE