Escape Pack - Whats in your everday pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rumi

Forager
On a daily basis I carry a Karimor 20 Spectre day sack which I can get my laptop and bits of small shopping, books papers etc according to what I may need for my work on a daily basis.

It also contains what I call an "escape pack" anything I might need in an emergency.

These are its contents:

1 pair of thorn proof gloves
1 pair of thermal gloves
1 hat
1 cotton neck tube
1 (See my post) firesteel and tinderbox
1 trangia handle
1 dinamo torch
1 small field 1st aid kit
1 small bottle hand cleaner gel (alcohol base)
1 multitool
1 compass
1 magnifier
£20 note folded up
1 empty "Source" water bladder with the tube inside
1 pen
1 micro hammock
2 high energy cereal bars
1 Ecotanka Stainless steel water bottle

Because I cycle I also have a very tough cycle helmet (ones used by skateboarders). When I lock my bike I take it with me, Especially If I have to go to areas which are not regarded as generally safe (some of the estates I work on).

Having been in a city in the middle of a terrorist attack everyone is wanting to do the same thing- get away, while the security forces are trying to lock the situation down. Which usually means public services grind to a halt and chaos..

I wouldn't like to think I am paranoid, just prepared. I practice with my kit regularly and replace the cereal bars about once a month.

Last edited:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'd carry similar kit when travelling long distances. On a day to day basis I can pretty much get by with some cash, my mobile and some biscuits. I live in a village a few miles from where I work on a smallholding. I travel to work on busyish B-class roads so there's not much that can go wrong really.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If I got into a 'situation' I know I'd be very glad to have that kit with me. :)

If it were mine I'd probably have added some cordage, and I think I'd probably choose a plastic water bottle and a stainless mug to fit snugly around it instead of the stainless bottle. I'd go for liquid soap in a contact lens bottle (I use them for all sorts of things) rather than the alcohol cleanser and I'd ditch the hammock. This is all very personal stuff of course, I don't care much for hammocks, although the thing about the hand cleanser is that it's prone to dry out skin, especially in cold/wet weather. I guess I might be thinking of a slightly longer term pack than yours, and probably a bit heavier. My (usual) bicycle has a couple of big panniers with loads of room for necessities that I never use... :)

Rumi

Forager
If I got into a 'situation' I know I'd be very glad to have that kit with me.

In the situation I spoke of, I didn't have much more than a first aid pack, passport, money and a nearly empty water bottle. Interestingly enough the most used items in my pack nare the 1st aid kit and the stainless water bottle. The water bottle doubles as a kettle. I tend to find I use the 1st aid kit on other people (mostly other cyclists) or my kids. The hand cleaner is ideal in these situations.

I made up the field kit myself. It contains:
1/2 doz sterile wipes
1 4.5mx5cm crepe bandage
1 Sterile meloline film wound dressing
Assorted sterile plasters
1 roll of cut to use plaster
1 tube sodium chloride topical irrigation (sterile) for eye injury
1 12x12cm sterile film dressing with net conforming bandage
2 packs of steri-strips paper sutures
1 pair scissors
1 pair of each, sterile and non sterile latex gloves

And for my own use only:

hay fever eye drops
Nurofen
Waspeze
Piriton tablets
(To deal with non-anaphelactic wasp sting allergy)

In genera there is enough kit for me and a few other people as far as dealing with a minor crisis. The hammock is almost superfluous, but its so small and so light its easy to carry.

budgetbus

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2010
Nuneaton
If im out and about for more than a bit i travel with this.

[video=youtube;nWaM_pgTVcA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWaM_pgTVcA[/video]

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I had to goto a school bus breakdown and sit and wait for the breakdown truck. 2 hrs later they arrived, luckily I had a book and a US MRE so could have a nice warm meal. It was two weeks ago and pretty chilly and wet and windy. Surprised how cold I got. Just got some UK packs so have re stocked the boot with some stuff.

Nick

Rumi

Forager
Just added a filter screen and chlorine tabs..

Interesting moment the other day. While on my regular long range river patrol, mainly looking for otters was hailed by some canoing campers on the river who it turned out had had a capsize and lost their lighter and the matches had got damp and they couldn't light their stove...

They were well equipped with gadgets, compass, satnav, alcohol stove, lanterns, torches, tents, kevlar canoe, Ka-Bar knife.. They were a bit cold and had been getting by with their flask of hot water. no Swedish steel or flint and steel and were astonished at a how quickly firewood appeared apparently from nowhere and a fire was made very quickly. I left them warm, drying their clothes and cooking a meal.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Laptop
iphone
Leatherman
various interconnect/network cables
loads of USB sticks
Krone tool
notepad and pen

My commute is 90% motorway so I don't really bother with an emergency pack. In winter I stick some sensible gear in the boot though.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Just added a filter screen and chlorine tabs..

Interesting moment the other day. While on my regular long range river patrol, mainly looking for otters was hailed by some canoing campers on the river who it turned out had had a capsize and lost their lighter and the matches had got damp and they couldn't light their stove...

They were well equipped with gadgets, compass, satnav, alcohol stove, lanterns, torches, tents, kevlar canoe, Ka-Bar knife.. They were a bit cold and had been getting by with their flask of hot water. no Swedish steel or flint and steel and were astonished at a how quickly firewood appeared apparently from nowhere and a fire was made very quickly. I left them warm, drying their clothes and cooking a meal.

And more importantly, you left them with the basic skills to be self sufficient.

People laugh when they see my firesteel but when I show them how it still sparks even after being submersed, when there lighter doesn't. They soon smile.

Nick

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE