Esbit Meals?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Hi all,
Now like probably nearly everyone on here I have an esbit stove or two (well they are cheap and can be kept for emergencies if nothing else!).
Now what I am about to ask goes for a lot of types of stoves as well.
But until now all I ever see is people either boiling water on them for a brew, or for heating rat packs etc.
Thats fine as far as it goes, but what about real cooking on them? has anyone ever done some?
You could have two or even three stoves going at once but is it even a 'starter'?
Or are they really only good for boiling water?
I ask because with my alcohol stoves I boil,fry,bake,grill (made many a chocolate cake or muffins on them).
So anyone actually done more then heatup/boil water?
Alan

Nov 7, 2008
U.K
Yes iv successfully made
bannock
pancake's
chocolate banana's
rice
fryed pepperoni

however the pancake's where fairly hard as the middle's kept on cooking before the outer edge's where cooked

regards,Jordan

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
you can make a real meal on them..heck i've made bacon and eggs and beans...and used my cast iron pan ,but it used ALOT of tablets and took a little time to do...for my heavy cooking i use a proper stove and leave my Esbit cooker to make my soup and tee....vince g. 11b inf..

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i used to use a tommy cooker all the time cause at the time it was light and packed down good (and cheap)for a bimble but i mostly stuck to one pot type meals in a mess tin such as beans allday breakfasts stews etc but all meals where precooked dumped in a bag for weight reduction and just reheated. i did get to the stage of doing pasta and pasta sauce using 2 mess tins then i thought i better get something more substantial for use with the family. Now i use a couple of trangias when with the family

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Alan,

Like the others my esbits & hexis get used for short time cooking like soups/teas/ one bag meals/ warming up stuff I brought from home. My serious stuff tends to take place around fires & gas cookers.

I don't think I have been out of the house for a bimble without a hexi/esbit in a pocket somewhere since 1980. They are my permanent backup.

Want to hear more about your cooking.
Atb
G:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE