equipment shops in plymouth

D

darren

any body from plymouth.
over the last few years the people of plymouth have had to travel to execter and cornwall to find a good hiking equipment shop, the only hiking shop widely know of was millets which isnt very bushman is it. its like when you want a bus, 2 come along at once, plymouth has now got 'blacks' the hiking shop, but not only one, we've got two aswell as the dissapointing millets. so my question is, is blacks any good? can i get cheaper by driving somewhere else and has blacks taken up valuable space in plymouth city centre that could be used by a more important or better shop?

thanks
darren

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Plymouth city center has a Blacks (which has been there for at least the last 5 years) a Millets and an Outdoorcenter (which was probably the best, has just **** down i think!) unfortuanly all three of these stores are now owned by the same company and are really as bad as each other, their bushcraft sutible kit is pretty limited! There is also goulds the army surplus place its quite big place on Ebrington Street which does have some good kit amoung the cheap workboots and overalls.

Unforunatly there is no independant camping shops in plymouth, which is a shame!

good luck!
TT :)

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
I find it odd as well, that a city the size of Plymouth, should be quite so poorly served ... There is a little ex-mil supplies place down on the Barbican, just a smallish stall in one of the buildings down there, there was quite a bit of stuff about 3 weeks ago when we was last there (but not anything like as much once we'd left ;) ) - mostly ex-marines' DPM, but not exclusively. That might be worth a look too, I guess it depends on what you are after.

It's still a trip, although not a far as Exeter, but don't forget that there is both Trailventure and Ashburn Caravans up the A38 in Ashburton. (ok, ok, I know I've said caravans there, but they do have camping stuff too). Exeter definitely has more choice tho ...

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
the one down on the barbican.. (its really nearer millbay docks :rolleyes: ) is called knights (known as boggy knights for some reason) as all surplus from the navy.. we always go their for boat bit.. rope and tools jerry cans etc.. i hadnt seen any bushcrafty stuff their (theres a lot of office stuff) but i havent been in their for year..

the problem is 99% of population of plymouth are cheap scates so non of the high end rages of anything gets down their (even in shops like marks and spencer they only bring their low end ranges down here) means somewhere sell decent tents and decent backpacks etc probably couldnt turn a proft there..

still, things do look to be changeine very slowly! :D

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
tomtom said:
the one down on the barbican.. (its really nearer millbay docks :rolleyes: ) is called knights (known as boggy knights for some reason) as all surplus from the navy.. we always go their for boat bit.. rope and tools jerry cans etc.. i hadnt seen any bushcrafty stuff their (theres a lot of office stuff) but i havent been in their for year..

the problem is 99% of population of plymouth are cheap scates so non of the high end rages of anything gets down their (even in shops like marks and spencer they only bring their low end ranges down here) means somewhere sell decent tents and decent backpacks etc probably couldnt turn a proft there..

still, things do look to be changeine very slowly! :D

Ah, I think we've probably been to different places then my friend ... we were in one of the buildings opposite the Plymouth Gin museum right on the Barbican - a couple of the old buildings have been converted out into a kinda collection of small stalls, and this trader was in one of them. Decent bloke he was too, full of tales ! (We found it completely by accident having been disappointed by a fruitless trip to the more, err, well known surplus shop, up by the uni).

I didn't know about knights, so thanks for that tip-off.

I don't think Plymouth has had anywhere 'decent' since Blue Yonder (up towards Mutley) closed, and that was years ago now I guess. I think you are right about the prevalent economic condition of [most of] the inhabitants of Plymouth. I do use Kayaksandpaddles quite a bit (hmm, but then I am a paddler) - not especially bushcrafty / hiking, but maybe worth a look for some stuff - I got the climbing tape for my hammock in there, plus they do roll-top dry bags, karabiners, and err, boats ...

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I've recently "moved" to Colchester (I am there during the week) and am having some trouble seeking out bargain shops. I have found a hardware cum army surplus store but no real gems, although I did find a nice haversack.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
"Bogey Knights" is down by Mutton cove. Head for Mount wise area past the Mecca bingo hall if coming in from the north of town. At the next roundabout take a right and lock your doors. You'll pass some pretty gruesome flats on the left and a Plymco on your right. It's the second/third right down a street with flats on the right some being torn down and waste ground to your left. At the end of the street is a school take a left and park in the car park at the end. Bogey's is great with odd kit, bergens, bivvy bags, Milan rocket man packs, mortar bomb boxes and enough cable to tie the Ark Royal up. Well worth a visit.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Wide Blue Yonder has gone :eek:

What a shame - used to get some good kit in there (and a discount!!). I lived in Mutley at the start of the '90s and quite a bit of kit I got from there is still in use!

Bob :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE