Epping Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Hello All!

I live in Dagenham, Essex and I'm thinking of going to Epping Forest for the first time for the day, tomorrow or Sunday. Im taking the train and/or bus and travelling with a giant German Shepherd! I think the easiest place for me to travel to is Loughton and enter the Forest from there?

Any suggestions for trails, interesting places, a good walk (maybe navigating in at Loughton and coming out near another station, hone my compass skills?) Also I really want to be as alone as I can be? Are you allowed to pitch a tarp there? i got a warning in Hornchurch Country Park for using my tarp???? I was just having a family picnic and brought the tarp in case of rain. (an umbrella is ok because it is hand held, a tarp is a fixed structure and not allowed???) nice fellows anyway, left us to it with the tarp still up (as it was raining) but cant use it there again.

Anyway, any tips on things to do or see in Epping Forest would be appreciated! Bearing in mind I'm on public transport with a big dog and a heavy pack (my usual bushcraft day kit plus a LOT of extra water for the dog!)

The Mounty

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I live in Dagenham, Essex and I'm thinking of going to Epping Forest for the first time for the day, tomorrow or Sunday. Im taking the train and/or bus and travelling with a giant German Shepherd! I think the easiest place for me to travel to is Loughton and enter the Forest from there?

Any suggestions for trails, interesting places, a good walk (maybe navigating in at Loughton and coming out near another station, hone my compass skills?) Also I really want to be as alone as I can be? Are you allowed to pitch a tarp there? i got a warning in Hornchurch Country Park for using my tarp???? I was just having a family picnic and brought the tarp in case of rain. (an umbrella is ok because it is hand held, a tarp is a fixed structure and not allowed???) nice fellows anyway, left us to it with the tarp still up (as it was raining) but cant use it there again.

Anyway, any tips on things to do or see in Epping Forest would be appreciated! Bearing in mind I'm on public transport with a big dog and a heavy pack (my usual bushcraft day kit plus a LOT of extra water for the dog!)

Caqn't help you with the forest, though it's a place on my mean to visit list. Not got round to it yet despite only being 40 minutes drive from me :rolleyes: Apparently there's a visitors centre in the middle of the forest so you could always use that for an navigational way point to aim for :)

As for you not being allowed to use a tarp because it's a 'fixed structure,' what a load of sloblock :censored: If it were me I'd ignore it and carry on using it and if challenged again ask for the exact bye-law that expressly forbids the use of tarps.

Anyway have a good bimble :cool:

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Hello Mesquite!

I Know!!!! Can you believe it!! I have learned a long time ago about being mouthy with the cops (still have the scars to remind me!) They left us to it only because of the way I spoke to them, plus another thing I have learned in England is that a Canadian accent goes a LONG way!!!! You guys wouldnt believe some of the situations I have talked myself out of over here!!! Also I had a forest axe and two knives on me and didnt want to lose them!!

The good news is, they gave me the the Park Rangers details, Ive sent an email, and they are very interested in learning bushcraft and willing to let me practice in the park in exchange for some lessons! Just waiting on the councils aproval and "bobs your uncle"

For those of you who dont like Ray Mears or the term "Bushcraft"...foooey on you! If not for him, these guys wouldnt have understood what I was doing in the park and the Rangers wouldnt have wanted to know! Back home we are called "Woodsmen" or "Survivalists" and most people thought we were crazy! The term "Bushcraft" as far as I'm concerned has opened up the worlds forest's to us in a way like never before!

The Mounty

"the man who say's "It cant be done" is always interupted by the man who just did it!

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Far from not being alowed to use one in derbyshire, I set one up so a volanteer work party could eat dinner reletivly dry, which included two rangers.

Ray has done some good work for the outdoorsmen in the UK, so what if he's got a few bob for it in the process.

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Hello Gliderrider,

He has certainly helped me, the first few years I was back in this country I searched for places to go and for people to go with or talk to about Bushcraft. Found nowhere and no one, started working in the city, got into the daily grind and working weekends and had all but given up with the exeption of our annual camping trip (family camping) and always keeping my kit up to date and all my knifes sharp and ready.

Then I saw Ray Mears on TV, next thing you know I'm not working week ends anymore, I bought a tarp and started getting out there again! I used to be an expert Woodsman back home and thought I knew everything I needed to know to survive anywhere, man was I wrong! and English forest's are so much different than Canadian forest's. I mostly survived on meat and fish (which is in abundance over there), drank the water straight out of the rivers etc, etc.

The Mounty

"Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe!"

Last edited:

nunzionuk

Hi Mounty

I would surgest visiting Loughton Camp, once used by Boudica, its pretty easy to find and is just outside Loughton. Just walk up from the station past the firestation, cross the road, and then turn left up past the police station, epping starts just up the road, and IIRC the pub there is dog friendly.

Once in epping I would surgest walking north eastly towards Theydon Bois and getting the train back from there, its about a 5/6 mile walk, crossing one major road, which you could stop at and get a bus back towards Loughton station.

Either way, enjoy the forest, its a nice place, and I have never had any issues putting a tarp up, or using a stove, just make sure if you are carrying a knife that you dont leave it on display as we have had some annoying ASBOs up in loughton with knives so the police are harder than most I've met.

-Nunz

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Hi Nunz!

Thank you very much for the advice!!! Its exactly what I needed! I had already checked my route, packed and re-packed my bag. I was all ready to go until I checked on the trains...no district line tomorrow!!!! The re-route for me is 3 buses and then a train, not with my dog!!!!! I will have to re-schedule for next weekend I guess...no worries I have a place nearby (only 1 bus ride away) that I can spend the day outdoors with my dog! Thanks again!

The Mounty

Hello Mounty,I live in Dagenham too &i often spend time foraging in Epping Forest.I normally drive there&park along Pump Hill but on occasion ive gone by train to Loughton station and walked up Forest road. Ive often seen people wild camping there and as long as dont stay there too late in the day i think you'd be fine with a tarp.If wild food is your thing,theres lots on offer.Mushrooms(found my biggest Cep in Epping Forest),Sloes,Juniper,nettles&horseradish.
On another note, Debden House campsite is just down the road &although it doesnt reopen till April iirc its about as close to wild camping as you'll get.Seven fields to camp in some with fire pits adjacent to the forest.Another good place for foraging.
Hope this was helpful.
Cheers
Tel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE