Epic Entomological Adventures...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
As I was testing that compact BG knife, I got all fired up and brave, so decided to go investigating the small caves that no one knows about close by.

02Mar201229.jpg

The entrance is about three feet high and leads off in a couple of directions to a winding passage that comes out further along the rock base. It's a bit dark and full of spiders (and God knows what unknown beasts also lurk within, sasquatch I'm sure!), so being particularly chicken, I usually have a mate with me when going in. Today though, I thought I'd be reckless and dangerous and go in Bear Grylls stylee. From above, all brave and man like...

02Mar201230.jpg

Everything would be OK. I had my Ickle BG knife :rolleyes:

02Mar201231.jpg

First thing I heard when I got into the dark dangerous tunnel into Hell, was some really weird and loud buzzing noise. Really weird and loud. I'd never heard anything like it before. Like a rattlesnake with a sock on its rattle. It was a noise that belonged in the caves I've explored when in Africa, not here in Blighty. So I dropped my pathetic lume stick and got out the 6 billion lumen powerhouse I had near to hand...

02Mar201224.jpg

02Mar201223.jpg

Woo Hoo, that lit the place up like the surface of the sun.

It was then that I found the terrible beast that was the source of the scary noise...

02Mar201228.jpg

02Mar201227.jpg

Poxy butterflies drumming their wings to heat up their bodies and escape after being alerted to an intruder in their overwintering cave. Loads of 'em. Moths too...

02Mar201220.jpg

Never knew butterflies could make such a loud noise.

This is a place were cave spiders dwell too. Not sure of the species, but hopefully Harvestman will see this and chime in. Some of them were an amazing deep purple in colour. Something I couldn't capture with flash at all...

02Mar201226.jpg

02Mar201222.jpg

02Mar201221.jpg

02Mar201225.jpg

They are all over the roof and none too slow either. You have to constantly stoop to keep them from getting caught in your hair. Not one for the arachnophobes this place.

In the Summer at least three species of bats roost here, so I don't go in. But for the moment, the place is dominated by some gorgeous papillon...

02Mar201219.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No, carved by people a long time ago. It's on private land and not even the land owner goes there. The most recent evidence of people going there was an old newspaper dated 1977. Some old rat packs too for 1975. Very well hidden, you can walk within a couple of feet of the place and not know it was there. Very good news for the inhabitants.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok, I saw this, so, one chime coming up...

Yup, those are cave spiders :) - impossible to tell species from appearance, but probably Meta menardi. Nice Peacock butterfly, and as you always get in caves, Herald moths.

I love those cave spiders. Big, intimidating, and very very placid. Capable of biting (harmlessly) but almost impossible to get them to do so unless you leave it no option at all. Their webs in your hair is a whole other prospect however.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
To what end?

No idea. It seems to be the remains of a network though, but the passages have caved in over time.

They look water worn to me !!!

Definately carved by hand. Passages go off at right angles and have cache like recesses. The area (Kinver) is renowned for its sand stone caves, but these are long forgotten and never visited as they are on a large private estate.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are the tunnels part of the Drakelow network ? or the ones that were dug for the aircraft factories in wartime ?

There are cave houses in that part of the world too, and the wartime tunnels were supposedly refurbished to be a regional HQ should it be necessary in the case of nuclear war.

Our local castles are built on, and of, red sandstone, there are tunnels like those under and through them too.

cheers,
Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Mine too. Davey569 and I have researched the area and what these passages mean (and that is all they are, passages). But the only reference we got was to witches living a few miles away who used sandstone caves. Nothing mentions passageways into the hills. These particular ones have no living area like teh local sandstone houses and caves, but are deliberate passageways cut into the rock. Where they went and their purpose is a total mystery.

See..

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74914&highlight=kinver+caves

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74914&highlight=kinver+caves

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Are the tunnels part of the Drakelow network ? or the ones that were dug for the aircraft factories in wartime ?

There are cave houses in that part of the world too, and the wartime tunnels were supposedly refurbished to be a regional HQ should it be necessary in the case of nuclear war.

Our local castles are built on, and of, red sandstone, there are tunnels like those under and through them too.

cheers,
Toddy

No, these are much older than the usual areas related to that around here, and the cave-ins and trees growing into the passages and on top of the must be at least 20 years before the war. They are very low too. Not built for much activity as they only cater for one homunculus going one way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That the area was tunnelled during the war kind of gives intent that someone researched what was there beforehand. The requirements could be very specific and they would have been very thorough.

Did you try the local planning department ? I know our local ones got all the relevant maps for everything from archaeology, original OS to the ones from the independant mines that evolved into the coalboard.

There's always the tunnellers groups......the folks who walk the old underground mineral lines and the like; they'd be interested in these I'm sure :)

Interesting :) thanks for sharing.

cheers,
M

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's just it. Nobody knows about this place. No historical records (known to us), or even local knowledge. These private lands are vast and not really permitted for public mooching in this area. Not even the owner knows or cares what they are. As the area is home to rare species, and secluded. I like the fact no one knows about it, and long may it continue.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do love a mystery :)

I have no desire to disturb the beasties......but I do come over all Famous Five when caves, passages an secret rooms are concerned!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know the archaeology bit ? the biggest bit of work is often done before we even sink an origin marker into the ground.

Research, land research, historical documentation, map surveys, title deeds, registers of sasines (don't know what the English equivalent is) mineral surveys and their feudal owners.
There's damn all in this country that isn't known about 'somewhere', even if you have to burrow through the landowners muniments chests, it's there somewhere. Might not be clear, might just be a mention or a sketch of a few inky lines on an old map, but unless it's buried entirely (like a Roman villa), someone, somewhere, at some point commented on it. If it were utilised in some fashion, then there's a value added to it and it becomes part of the description of property.

I suspect that if very little is 'open' then it's been wartime and then co-opted into part of the old Civil Defence network.
Tunnels like those wouldn't show up on any aerial reconnaisance, are probably environmentally very stable, and sandstone is comparatively easy to work.

Quite fascinating really :D

cheers,
M

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There's a place not far from here with ancient and now unused sewage tunnels that come from the big house like those.
The lack of height (assuming that there isn't four foot of stuff on the floor lifting the level up) would suggest that to me.

I won't say that you never get caves in sandstone as there are areas where its water or windworn and creates hollows and all sorts but proper cave tunnels are far more likely in limestone.
Consequently I go by the idea that if the cave is in pretty much any other rock than limestone its man made. Ones by the sea might not abide by that rule exactly but you get my drift.

Anyway, I reckon that if you got to the end of those tunnels you would find an old toilet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE