Epic by Nextec

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
epic is a fabric, not a waterproofing agent.

I have a friend who used a jacket made of epic. He sold it, I don't think he liked it so much.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Epic is available in lots of different fabrics. It is basically a normal fabric that has been treated with silicone in such a way that each thread is coated individually. The fabric will therefore shed water much more effectively than a similar fabric treated with a DWR on the outside only. According to the manufacturer, this water repellency is good for the life of the garment. I have obtained a bunch of samples because I am looking to try it out myself, to see if it delivers. Alpkit do some waterproof jeans in Epic denim, called Jeanius, for £55. Rohan also do a version of their trousers in it, and a matching jacket. Orvis do a wilderness jacket in it as well.

The claims for the fabric are that it breathes much better than a membrane-based performance fabric, but will eventually wet out, and will not withstand water under pressure, which will seep through the weave. However, I saw a sample at the Outdoor Show being squirted with a continuous stream of water all day on the Alpkit stand, and even in the afternoon it felt bone dry on the other side. Very impressive! But I really would like to see how it performs as a garment in prolonged wet weather, and how the proofing lasts over time. If anyone has any experience, please let us know! Otherwise, I'm hoping to make up a jacket and/or trousers to do a comparison with Ventile, which seems to be the obvious alternative (ie not waterproof but weatherproof and more breathable). Hope that helps!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The science is as Wink said.

I looked at the Rohan stuff but eventually bought a pair of Alpkit's jeanius jeans. They are pretty good but like everything else not perfect.

They shrug off a shower easily enough but in longer heavier rain, the water will come through. That said they dry really quickly. They are also windproof.

Compared to poly/cotton dwr type trousers, they are a good deal more water resistant and dry in about the same time. They are thicker and therefore warmer and so better suited to autumn/ winter use.

I took mine on a four day hike along Offa's Dyke in late October last year and they stood up to the mix of sun, rain and wind pretty well. In warmer weather I tend to go for polycotton.

As I said I don't own any of the Rohan but I did try some on and the fabric is much thinner. I guess that would make it a bit less water resistant but cooler and faster drying.

C

CM45

It aint fair that you keep asking people things when you dont help answer anybody else's questions. come on mate this is a community.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
It aint fair that you keep asking people things when you dont help answer anybody else's questions. come on mate this is a community.

Ach, thats a bit harsh. Just a community member with a few questions, just because he doesn't have answers for others is no reason to have a go. What about the thousands of others who don't answer too, I don't see you mentioning them. Besides when someone asks a question not everyone knows the answer, the people that answer aren't just helping the original poster, but everyone who didn't know, so I say keep asking questions :D the only silly question is the one not asked!

C

CM45

why call yourself a bushcrafter when you dont know anything.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
So that it is clear that mods do occassionally do something other than delete spam;)

CM45.
You sir are offensive and out of order. :nono: We don't know what your special problem is but one would almost think you had some sort of axe to grind.

You should have noticed by now that you have been banned by Admin for a couple of days. Take it as a hint that your posting style, thus far, is unwelcome on this forum. You have been a member long enough that you should know better...unless of course you just joined to see how quickly you could get banned.:rolleyes:

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
To anybody who thinks that I am here just to ask questions; I am not here just to ask questions, I am here to not only learn but also to share my knowlege with others and try my best when possible to give advice or opinions if they need it. Though if you feel differently - Please send me a polite PM and I will more than happy to discuss it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE