Enybody know what knife this is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Hi all is there any body out there how knows what this knife was used for originally is looks quiet old its got a very curved blade witch is 6" long i haven't had a close look for any markings i thought it mite be a leather working knife or a butchers knife etc when cleaned up it would make a good bush craft food preparation knife with a simple leather sheath 20p find at local flea market :D

Me143.jpg

Me145.jpg

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Looks like an old butchers knife to me. When I was a kid, I had a saturday job for a local butcher and he had one similar. Can't remember what he used it for though, sorry.

Simon

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Simon's right, it's definitely a butcher knife.

It looks a bit like an Old Hickory Skinner -- it's not, you can spot the pattern on an Old Hickory blade and that's not here in this case -- and it also resembles one type of Green River knife.

However, those are both New World blades and since it's in the UK, the odds are that it's one of your trade brands.

For what it's worth, these where the kind of knives you would often find in the sash of a Mountain Man. They're usually not worth a lot of money, but they are worth a lot of emotion because these are the type of knives that opened up a continent or two...

Plus, some of them make good camp knives today!

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
I used to use something similar to this (with the curved blade only smaller) when I worked in Patons & Baldwhins woolen mill. It was used for cutting the last strands on wool off bobbins.
I then got a job as an apprentice butcher and low and behold what did I get handed for pairing bones :D

So you can take your pick - Its a Butchers knife or a Large Bobbin Knife :D

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE