England

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, BCUK.

Some of you may know I'm moving right down to southern England very soon, near Waterlooville, Portsmouth. I've lived in Scotland my entire life and this will be my first experience of this, but as my parents are moving and am currently unemployed, I've no choice but to follow them. However, this thread is not about my own quarrels with moving and my weighing of the pros and cons, it's about the forests of England and the scenery. I do wish I could stay in Scotland to see more of the Highlands, but I'm trying to look at this in a positive light. I'll live not too far from the New Forest and the town of Rowland's Castle in which I'll be staying will be quite a bit more rural than where I'm currently living.

Native sons of England, how do you rate your land? Do any of you spend time in both England and Scotland? I plan to travel back and forth quite a bit. I can anticipate a deep longing for Scotland in just a few weeks time.

But yes, I'm looking forward to spending time in the forests of England.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
That's not so good, but I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem.

New forest is a tough one for wild camping, lots of livestock that are naturally inquisitive that have the run of the land. You wont be getting any fire practice in for sure as it will be stealth camping to the max. Beautiful part of the world though and i have to say my favourite forest in England.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That's got to be tough for you, moving that far from where you have your roots. Good luck and I hope it works out.

I can't answer your question with any authority of knowing Scotland, but I do know that England has an incredible diversity of landscape, flora and fauna and no midges!

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I am a son of Wessex married to a girl born in Scotland. We love Hampshire great climate, varied terrain, and many more reasons. Near Waterlooville you can get up to the Downs - a fantastic landscape. Like bird watching? I used to lie on my back totally alone, in a Bronze Age hill fort whilst skylarks sang to me, then walk on to "Beacon Hill" where the Armada beacon was, whist surrounded by buzzards, kites, sparrow hawks, nightjars, short eared owls and more. The Weald and Downland museum (site I hear of the new "Tudor Farm" series) is a short hop, HMS Victory a walk away, There are deer absolutely everywhere, you have brilliant shooting, chalk streams to fish for trout, one of the top three pubs in Britain (where you can drink and shoot a longbow at the same time). There are great bushcrafters down there too to look up - and I learned a lot from them.

Its one of the most stunning parts of this island - packed with history, incredible flora and fauna, studded with flints. Its a truly wonderful and spectacular part of the land full of great people.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I appreciate the posts, British Red. Those are some lovely photos. I know a bit more of England than I used to because of all the Wild Britain series I've watched and other nature programs. England may not have Scotland's mountains, but it's renowned for its forest.

And yes, it will be very hard being so far away from my homeland. It's a strange thing... Before I knew we were moving I always questioned why we had to live so far away from the Highlands. The Highlands were only 2-3 hours away. Now it's a completely different story...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
That Arlesford mill looks stunning B.R. Being a north west England lad now living in Scotland my old haunts were mainly the Lake district another beautiful piece of England, though doesnt really help out THOaken though.I will ask my brother he lives and works based in Portsmouth he may know a few places.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't forget

welsh-dragon-wales-flag-8ft-x-5ft-375-p.gif

breconCarreg620_2175862b.jpg

ty-gwyn-hotel.jpg

Snowdonia%20-%2000289.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I appreciate the posts, British Red. Those are some lovely photos. I know a bit more of England than I used to because of all the Wild Britain series I've watched and other nature programs. England may not have Scotland's mountains, but it's renowned for its forest.

And yes, it will be very hard being so far away from my homeland. It's a strange thing... Before I knew we were moving I always questioned why we had to live so far away from the Highlands. The Highlands were only 2-3 hours away. Now it's a completely different story...

You are going - so I guess you have two choices

Miss what you've lost

or

Enjoy what you have gained

We moved from there to the fens - a weird, flat marsh terrain. But I can brew up and listen to curlews cry now, I can play redneck games as there are no townie incomers, we get Little egrets and seals.

Its all down to your own attitude - we've lived all over the UK and spent extended times abroad. Everywhere has its unique appeals and landscape. The Yorkshire moors are nothing like the Blackdown hills - which are totally different to the Cornish coast, the Snowdonia mountains or the Cheshire plain.

Throw yourself into the experience. You are moving to one of the most ancient of landscapes - where man lived first in Britain. Its a stunning place with magnificent landscape, flora, fauna, and archaeology. You want to work outdoors? You have one of the best places to learn in the world

http://www.sparsholt.ac.uk/

What a fantastic opportunity that is for you!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
You are going - so I guess you have two choices

Miss what you've lost

or

Enjoy what you have gained

We moved from there to the fens - a weird, flat marsh terrain. But I can brew up and listen to curlews cry now, I can play redneck games as there are no townie incomers, we get Little egrets and seals.

Its all down to your own attitude - we've lived all over the UK and spent extended times abroad. Everywhere has its unique appeals and landscape. The Yorkshire moors are nothing like the Blackdown hills - which are totally different to the Cornish coast, the Snowdonia mountains or the Cheshire plain.

Throw yourself into the experience. You are moving to one of the most ancient of landscapes - where man lived first in Britain. Its a stunning place with magnificent landscape, flora, fauna, and archaeology. You want to work outdoors? You have one of the best places to learn in the world

http://www.sparsholt.ac.uk/

What a fantastic opportunity that is for you!
I am going into this with a positive attitude.

This is a bit of a surprise, a land based college in Hampshire? I was going to wait a while until I thought about education again, considering the outcome of the Rural Skills course, but I'm very glad you've linked that. Thanks.

EDIT: And for those asking me about whether or not I am still in and sticking with said course, no I'm not. I left it. I would've had to leave it anyway.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is a bit of a surprise, a land based college in Hampshire? I was going to wait a while until I thought about education again, considering the outcome of the Rural Skills course, but I'm very glad you've linked that. Thanks.

Hampshire is a farming county. Sparsholt is not "an" outdoor college - its arguably "the" outdoor college - its conservation and wildlife department is rated as "Outstanding" (the highest grade) by Ofsted and holds an award from the Learning and Skills Council. . Its the equivalent of going to Oxford for an academic. You wanted a "serious" college - this is it!

Anyway - as you can tell, I was happy in Hampshire - its a wonderful place

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I don't wish for this to turn into yet another college thread, but it must be said that the only reason I chose to enroll on that Rural Skills course, was because it was the only choice I had. I didn't live near any of the major land based colleges. The Rural Skills course was the only option and the majority of the course was estate maintenance, slabbing and other such things in which I'm not particularly interested.

But listen, thanks again BR. I'm looking into the college as we speak.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries - there's a huge variety to choose from at Sparsholt - I envy you - I'd love the opportunity to go there even as old as I am now!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
No worries - there's a huge variety to choose from at Sparsholt - I envy you - I'd love the opportunity to go there even as old as I am now!
The college looks promising, it really does, but if it's not painfully obvious, I'm a bit of a pessimist. My previous two college experiences haven't been so great. The first one was a media course. The lecturer didn't even show up half the time. I kid you not, we spent the day playing video games. It felt like an after school club, the antithesis of college. And then there's Rural Skills, but I chose that. That was my fault. I just dearly hope that my voluntary experience can get me into a foundation or entry level course. I just want the opportunity to climb the ladder, not immediately have to get back down of the first step after a few weeks.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just watch for the shandypants ....

Hope it all goes well for you an yor parents.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
The college looks promising, it really does, but if it's not painfully obvious, I'm a bit of a pessimist. My previous two college experiences haven't been so great. The first one was a media course. The lecturer didn't even show up half the time. I kid you not, we spent the day playing video games. It felt like an after school club, the antithesis of college. And then there's Rural Skills, but I chose that. That was my fault. I just dearly hope that my voluntary experience can get me into a foundation or entry level course. I just want the opportunity to climb the ladder, not immediately have to get back down OFF the first step after a few weeks.

just to keep you straight :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE